We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

'Last minute' road trip - no accommodation available in MV

Isle of Man
Level Contributor
31 posts
26 reviews
Save Topic
'Last minute' road trip - no accommodation available in MV

I am currently planning a circular 14 day fly/drive trip from Phoenix in September, taking in Scottsdale, Grand Canyon, Springdale (Zion), Bryce Canyon, Torrey (Capitol Reef), Moab (Arches & Canyonlands), Mese Verde, Monument Valley and Sedona in that order. So far, I have managed to find accommodation for each destination apart from Monument Valley (I know - what should I expect leaving things so late?). What I could do with knowing is - would there be enough time in one day to drive from Mese Verde to say Tuba City and take in a guided tour in Monument Valley on the way? Alternative recommendations / suggestions will be gratefully received. Thanks.

Winston Salem...
Level Contributor
1,223 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 'Last minute' road trip - no accommodation available in MV

Rather than staying in Tuba City on the reservation, I'd consisder Bluff or Mexican Hat. There's lots to see in that area (Goosenecks, Valley of the Gods, etc), and they are within 40 minutes of Monument Valley, so not a lot of backtracking on your way to Sedona.

Isle of Man
Level Contributor
31 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 'Last minute' road trip - no accommodation available in MV

Thank you cdudley for your quick reply. I did try Mexican Hat - but was struggling there too, but I will try Bluff. We have never been to this 'neck of the woods' before and it's difficult knowing what may or may not be feasible - especially when we live on an island that is only 32 x 12 miles and we think travelling 15 miles is a bit of a trip! Lol.

Atlanta
Level Contributor
14 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 'Last minute' road trip - no accommodation available in MV

ManxMaid,

I found myself in the same situations as yours. I called many hotels near Mexican Hat two weeks ago. I had no luck find an accommodation. I have to change my plan to drive 4 more hours to Cortez, Colorado. You should have no problem finding a hotel at Cortez, and Mese Verde is nearby.

My trip is a 10 days plan. Here is my trip route.

www.tripvilla.com/view.action?uid=lpd6ok19

www.flickr.com/photos/nantes-88/2716099145/

Isle of Man
Level Contributor
31 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 'Last minute' road trip - no accommodation available in MV

Hi atlantis188

Hmmm - your itinerary looks very interesting too. I keep changing my mind when I read all the forum posts and other suggested itineraries - there is so much to see and we are going to have to make some 'difficult' decisions very soon and finally decide on a route. Who knows, this may be our one and only visit - so we have to try and see as much as possible while we have the opportunity.

I think the forums are a great resource and thank you to all who post such great information.

Netherlands
Level Contributor
634 posts
245 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 'Last minute' road trip - no accommodation available in MV

Try and reverse your tip.

It made new things possible for mine last month and maybe MV hotels have availability on other dates.

The other towns mentioned are closeby nut there is nothing to do in Bluff or Mexican Hat after you had dinner. Hotels there are simple, so...maybe that is a suggestion too?

Isle of Man
Level Contributor
31 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 'Last minute' road trip - no accommodation available in MV

Hi DutchTravelAgent

Thanks for your suggestion about reversing the route - I had though already tried this with no joy. I think we will just have to accept that Gouldings and anywhere around Kayenta is very busy and try Bluff - we don't mind a bit of peace and quiet of an evening now and then. I suppose we could always try calling various establishments the day before to see if there have been any cancellations (along with hundreds of others too probably). Our experience of the USA is very limited - i.e. Florida with the children when they were young - where else? - but we did a 3 week tour in British Columbia 3 years ago and have been promising ourselves a road trip to the US since then. I am optimistic that it will all work out ok in the end and I will keep returning to the forums to pick up those little 'nuggets' of information.

New Boston, New...
Level Contributor
1,021 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 'Last minute' road trip - no accommodation available in MV

We are staying at the Decker House Inn soon in Bluff - have you tried there?

The owner has been very helpful and accomodating while corresponding with them during my planning process.

Winston Salem...
Level Contributor
1,223 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: 'Last minute' road trip - no accommodation available in MV

I loved Calf Canyon B&B in Bluff, but I read that it has been sold recently, and I'm not sure what its status is. (Best beds of the trip!)

Isle of Man
Level Contributor
31 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: 'Last minute' road trip - no accommodation available in MV

Thanks Irgardener and cdudley - I will be following up.

Uden, The...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
60,942 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: 'Last minute' road trip - no accommodation available in MV

It will be a very busy trip ManxMaid taking all these places in 14 days. Curious about your schedule... You are planning a visit to Mesa Verde NP and probably stay Cortez. Just keep in mind it's 1h15 from Cortez to the Mesa Verde Visitor center. I doubt if Bluff still has vacancy that time of year but anyways I would not stay there, not because it isn't nice but you'll be doing a lot of backtracking. Maybe drive from Cortez to Bluff via Aneth (boring but the best part is still te come). Then drive to Mexican Hat, short stop at "The Hat", drive 163 and stop at milemarker 13 for great views, visit Monument Valley for a couple of hours and drive to Tuba City and that's what you've asked. Yes.there's enough time from Cortez to Tuba City with a guided tour through MV but it will be a long day. Count on 4 hours for the drive from Cortez-MV-Tuba City plus the time for the visits. Another option will be to stay in Page for the night but that also will be a detour.

Tet