We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Monument Valley...best route to drive through?

Woodstock, Vermont
Destination Expert
for Woodstock
Level Contributor
1,650 posts
289 reviews
Save Topic
Monument Valley...best route to drive through?

Hello,

I am planning to travel to see this wonderful site in early November and wonder if there is a best route to navigate the valley? Any good lodging options/ideas also greatfully recieved.

Many Thanks,

David

Sedona, AZ
Destination Expert
for Sedona, Arizona, Monument Valley
Level Contributor
55,820 posts
225 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Monument Valley...best route to drive through?

There are no route options at Monument Valley. You enter the region on hwy 163 from Kayenta to the south or Mexican Hat to the north. The 17 mile loop road inside the monument requires a $5 per person fee to the Navajo Nation. Under normal conditions you can drive the road in about 2 hours using a typical passenger car or SUV. It is an unimproved dirt road and high clearance helps. However, in the rainy season, the mud can be prohibitive and after some weather events the road can be more than treacherous with bumps and holes.

A private guided back country tour for a half day is the best way to experience the valley IMO, as the native guides can take you beyond the loop road and to places you would not otherwise have access to. There are also group tours from Gouldings Lodge that will save the wear and tear on your car but stay mostly on the loop road.

If you are driving a rental car, your contract could prohibit you from driving on the loop road.

The View Inn is the best place to stay. Gouldings is the only other option in the valley. Next closest would be 25 miles north or south in Mexican Hat or Kayenta.

Woodstock, Vermont
Destination Expert
for Woodstock
Level Contributor
1,650 posts
289 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Monument Valley...best route to drive through?

Thank you for your comprehensive reply....I will consider and organise accordingly.

Sedona, AZ
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
55,820 posts
225 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Monument Valley...best route to drive through?

Let us know where you are coming from and how much time you'll have. We'll try to give you a plan.

Colorado
Level Contributor
232 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Monument Valley...best route to drive through?

Just returned from MV so I thought I would add a few words. The View Hotel is nice, great views, but some new hotel issues. The restaurant is not very good but there is a fridge and microwave in the room.

Since we stayed at the View, I am not sure if the entry into the park itself is restricted early or late. However, by staying there we could enter the park drive when we wanted. We preferred our early morning starts, not many others on the roads and almost no tour vehicles then. The light is better in the evening and full moon days, like Sept 3rd and 4th when we stayed, are magical.

Up the road, past Mexican Hat, is the Valley of the Gods state park which has been compared to MV. Well, it is not a good comparison but it is a good location to visit still the same. In many ways we enjoyed that drive almost as much. That drive is 18 miles, fewer people, and the road is in much better condition.

Hope this helps - Charlie

Woodstock, Vermont
Destination Expert
for Woodstock
Level Contributor
1,650 posts
289 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Monument Valley...best route to drive through?

Charlie thanks for your input which was most helpful, and RedRox we hope to come around November 11th, spend a night in Las Vegas then up to the valley, then perhaps a couple of nights at the end back in Vegas before we fly back to winter!

Sedona, AZ
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
55,820 posts
225 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Monument Valley...best route to drive through?

Have you booked your room at the View Inn yet? Get busy. You're coming during a holiday period and the last one before winter weather sets in.

WI
Destination Expert
for Wisconsin, Colorado Springs
Level Contributor
6,080 posts
117 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Monument Valley...best route to drive through?

I'd go with the Goulding's Tour and Lodge. It's a great view and decent stay. You're paying for the view. It's been a number of years since my stay, and it sounds like they've stayed somewhat the same, so a good basic stay (not fancy and amenity filled) The Goulding's Tour goes down into Monument Valley to where you'd never take your car (or never should). To this day it's probably my top stop ever in my travels. It was remote and peaceful with amazing beauty. We stopped at a hogan and met a (well known) Indian woman named Suzie Yazzi. (sp) I took my favorite picture there in her hogan of her weaving. It was a highly memorable and beautiful experience. We took the three hr. tour.

Sedona, AZ
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
55,820 posts
225 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Monument Valley...best route to drive through?

Gouldings used to be the only place to stay at Monument Valley. The new native owned and operated View Inn has a superior location and is a much nicer facility. Gouldings will be starting a big remodel/refurbish project later this year in an effort to compete with the View Inn.

The back country tours are still the best regardless of which place you stay. Same native guides will pick you up at either hotel.

9. Re: Monument Valley...best route to drive through?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 08 March 2010, 06:22