We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Monument Valley Must See Sights When Taking a Tour?

Englewood, Ohio
Level Contributor
1,744 posts
81 reviews
Save Topic
Monument Valley Must See Sights When Taking a Tour?

I am interested in a tour of Monument Valley. In looking at some tour offerings, I see that some tours are full day, half day, 3.5 hrs, 2.5 hrs, morning and sunrise tours, etc. Unfortunately, my time is somewhat limited, but I am adjusting my itinerary to allow for more time here. I think I am mostly interested in seeing the highlights of the Monument Valley area. But, what exactly are the "highlights" that I should see, so that when I speak to a tour guide when booking a reservation, I can ask to make sure that the tour I select includes these "must see" sights or attractions? Thank you.

Sedona, AZ
Destination Expert
for Sedona, Arizona, Monument Valley
Level Contributor
59,254 posts
236 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Monument Valley Must See Sights When Taking a Tour?

A 3-4 hour back country tour will take you off the loop road and include Ear of the Wind, Sun's Eye, and Totem. Hopefully also a visit with the ancient rug weaving woman in her native hogan. That would be a bare minimum IMO.

The worst thing you can tell anyone about your plans to visit destinations in the southwest, is that you're 'short on time'. If that is really the case, then you need to cut back on the number of places that you'll be visiting.

Every destination in this part of the country demands time. A full 24 hour cycle at each destination is really only fair, given the distance and time that it takes to get there. So if you can't spend that much time, delete the destination in your itinerary and give the time to some other place. Otherwise, you'll be wasting ALL of your time on the trip.

Moab, Utah
Destination Expert
for Moab
Level Contributor
3,363 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Monument Valley Must See Sights When Taking a Tour?

Wise words from RedRox. If you are going to take a guided tour of Monument Valley think more of the experience than the sights; what you will hear, smell, even touch not just the sights. If it is sights alone then drive yourself around the loop road and be on your way.

Chubbuck, Idaho
1 post
Save Reply
3. Re: Monument Valley Must See Sights When Taking a Tour?

Yes this is me. Never having been at Monument Valley before, I would like to know if March is a good month to come. Is there a telephone number where I could call to find out the following: mileage from St. George, Utah, not having an exact date as of yet, prices of rooms for 2 adults,

how many days to see and have the experience of all there is to see, restaurants, tours,etc. We would be driving. Any information that you could give me would be very helpful.

Sedona, AZ
Destination Expert
for Sedona, Arizona, Monument Valley
Level Contributor
59,254 posts
236 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Monument Valley Must See Sights When Taking a Tour?

http://www.monumentvalleyview.com/

The View is the only hotel inside the MV tribal park. Gouldings lodge is about 5 miles away. After that you would need to stay about 25 miles away in Kayenta. Not recommended unless all other options are fully booked. This can happen though as rooms at MV are very limited.

navajonationparks.org/htm/monumentvalley.htm

Use this site to learn about a variety of tour options

There is never a bad time to visit Monument Valley. March is as good a time as any. Use mapquest for mileage and directions. But it's really very simple. I'd allow about 4-5 hours from St George.

There are no restaurants at MV other than the dining rooms in each of the hotels mentioned above. Kayenta has a few fast food joints and diners. Burger King is about the best you will find there.

5. Re: Monument Valley Must See Sights When Taking a Tour?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 08 August 2010, 05:17