We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

monument valley

washington
Level Contributor
42 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
monument valley

we will be traveling through on our way to Moab. Can you see some good things from the main road or do you really need to take the drive through. my understanding is the drive through will add 3 hours to the trip due to the condition of the road

Mentioned in this post
Moab
Moab
Utah
Salt Lake City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Utah
Level Contributor
16,280 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: monument valley

If you would be coming from the north you can begin to see some of the formations as you drive south on 163. Then as you enter the park there is not too much to see until you will arrive at the visitors center . From there you can see the valley with the famous Mittens right in front of you.

The 17 mile dirt loop road through the valley doesn't show you too much else just from a different perspective. But it is still worth the drive if you can do it. It would take a couple hours to drive or take a tour.

Some tours will take you into other areas of the park which you could not get to on your own. These can be half day.

My own personal feeling is that it is worth the drive into the park even if all you do is stand at the visitors center and look. That wouldn't take longer than 1/2 hr out of your time, though you may end up staying a little longer. Maybe you wouldn't get the full picture, but it is worth the short detour. Obviously as with any of the parks in the southwest, the longer you give them the more they give you.

Be sure to stop at mile marker 13 (or 18?) on the way north to get the last glimpse.

Sedona, AZ
Destination Expert
for Sedona, Arizona, Monument Valley
Level Contributor
63,854 posts
248 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: monument valley

you will get out of Monument Valley however much time you have to put in it. A drive by will give you a peek and barely a taste. Entering the park and doing the loop will require a few hours and will get you closer to the monoliths and scenery. Taking a 3-4 hour back country guided tour will show you even more and allow you time to learn and interact with native people. Being there for sunset and sunrise is the best. But that will require spending a night.

I confess that on my first trip to MV all I did was a drive by. but I live fairly close to the 4 corners and knew that I'd be returning again. And I can assure you that my best visits to MV are the ones where I have taken the time, and stayed over night at the View Hotel, and booked the native guided back country tours.

It is my opinion that if you are traveling from afar and taking all of the time that it requires just to get to Monument Valley, then you should spend at least that much time being there and taking it all in. If, OTOH, you are simply driving by on the long trek to some other destination, then that is what it will be, just a drive by.

Mentioned in this post
The View Hotel
The View Hotel
6,093 Reviews
Monument Valley, UT
Ohio
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
9,055 posts
239 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: monument valley

exactly-- I've been twice. Didn't get enough from only 1 day/night visit even. Follow the advice above.

Another bit of info to be aware of-- you cannot park or go into the visitors center without paying. Booth is set up to where you cannot access the parking lot until you've paid, so.... you won't be able to just "see the mittens" for free if you do not want to drive the road. Does that make sense?

Best views from the road are heading south which is not how you'll be heading. So.... should you decide on a "drive by" pay attention to your rear viewmirror once you pass to get a glimpse of one of the classic Monument Valley shots.

4. Re: monument valley

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 November 2010, 07:18
Get answers to your questions about Monument Valley