We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Time Zone Confusion??

New Hampshire
Level Contributor
309 posts
92 reviews
Save Topic
Time Zone Confusion??

First, I have to state for the record that I'm not stupid (when it comes to most things)...I am, however having trouble grasping the time zones in Arizona and Monument Valley.

We're driving to Monument Valley from Sedona in mid May. Lets say we leave at noon and it takes 3 hours to get there...so when we get to The View Hotel, what time will it be? 3PM or 4PM?

After visiting MV, we're driving to Las Vegas. So if we leave MV at 8AM and it takes 7 hours to get there, what time is it when we arrive in Las Vegas? 2PM, 3PM or 4PM?

Thanks in advance to all you math majors who will reply.

Park City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Utah, Winter Sports
Level Contributor
19,374 posts
426 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Time Zone Confusion??

Arizona is on Mountain Standard Time and does not observe daylight savings time. The Navajo Nation, including Monument Valley, does observe it.

The easiest way to manage it at this time of year is to consider Arizona and Nevada as the same time zone. The time is the same. And consider Monument Valley the same as Utah, one hour ahead.

Correct me, anyone, if I'm wrong. This is always a super confusing issue for travelers in that area.

Fruita, Colorado
Destination Expert
for Fruita, Grand Junction
Level Contributor
6,850 posts
235 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Time Zone Confusion??

Nobody will think you are stupid - it just gets a little odd because while all the other western states observe daylight savings time AZ does not. UT is Mountain Daylight and AZ is actually like Pacific Daylight since they did not spring ahead like everyone else. So, since you are leaving AZ at noon (which is already 1 pm in UT) you will arrive at the hotel at 4 pm. NV is back in Pacific Daylight time so when you leave the hotel at 8 am in UT it is only 7 am in Las Vegas so add 7 hrs and you will get there at 2 pm.

Edited: 28 April 2011, 00:28
Uden, The...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
60,942 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Time Zone Confusion??

Yes, it's confusing but perfectly explained by my fellow posters.

Don't count on 3 hours between Sedona and MV, more like 4 and that's without stops.

Going into another time zone next day we already adjust our watches after dinner the day before.

Tet

New Hampshire
Level Contributor
309 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Time Zone Confusion??

Thank you very much for the clear explanation, I finally understand what we'll be dealing with.

For some reason when I hear 'gain an hour' or 'lose an hour' it just doesn't resonate with me. Susielou...thanks especially to you, it's nice to hear nobody will think I'm stupid...but I still do!

Your kind postings have helped me a lot and hopefully others who may read this thread in the future.

Thanks again.

Edited: 28 April 2011, 13:50
Australia
Level Contributor
56 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Time Zone Confusion??

Yes, not an easy one to figure out...you could always just plan to ask someone the time when you get there!

Venice, Florida
Level Contributor
567 posts
124 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Time Zone Confusion??

We were in Monument Valley two days ago. Arizona was on Pacific time ( 3 hrs ahead of east coast). As soon as we got into Utah, it was one hour later....

The really confusing part is that when you get to the View, they straddle the AZ/UT border....better to think MDT time and be safe. Our guide was funny, his cell kept changing from Pacific to mountain time as we were standing there. So do not feel stupid.

Just make it one hour later when you get to Utah...it helps keep your appointments for tours, dinner etc!! have fun.

Uden, The...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
60,942 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Time Zone Confusion??

Actually while Az does not observe daylight saving time, the Navajo Nation does observe. So already in Cameron it's one hour late. To make the confusion complete, you will be driving via Tuba City. Moenkopi is a Hopi enclave near Tuba City and the Hopi nation doesnot observe DST. Ok, forget all of this, not important, the whole of Monument Valley is one hour later than the other parts of Az. And yes, Marla is right. The entrance road to MV Tribal Park is in Utah and you'll drive into Az again. As a matter of fact, one of the Mittens is in Utah, the other 2 are in Az.......

Tet

Lisburn, United...
Level Contributor
558 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Time Zone Confusion??

I never thought of time zones at all until I came across this post. Can someone confirm if I've got it right for our Itinerary.

Take Las Vegas as the base

Zion, Bryce Canyon and Monument Valley are 1 hour ahead of LV

Page, Cameron and Grand Canyon south rim are same as LV

And finally Orlando is 3 hours ahead of LV

Salt Lake City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Utah
Level Contributor
16,029 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Time Zone Confusion??

That sounds right hxdirect

Uden, The...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
60,942 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Time Zone Confusion??

Almost. Cameron already is one hour later but you won't notice unless you stay there for the night. LV, GC and Page are same time between march and november. Between november and march GC, Page etc are one hour later than LV and have same time as Utah. Utah always is one hour later than Nevada. Hope I didn't confuse you ;)

Tet