We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

places to stay overnight around monument valley

Leicester, United...
Level Contributor
1 post
9 reviews
Save Topic
places to stay overnight around monument valley

I am planning to visit monument valley as part of my trip to the USA.I can't seem to find many rooms in the area, is it generally possible to arrive in a town and find a motel or do they all book up?

Encinitas...
Destination Expert
for Zion National Park, Joshua Tree National Park
Level Contributor
18,227 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: places to stay overnight around monument valley

The towns are very small, and don't have many hotels,so if they happen to be sold out, you may be driving hours to the next town seeking a place to stay.You really need reservations.In MV look for Gouldings or the View hotel.

Edited: 05 May 2011, 17:07
Santa Ana, CA
Level Contributor
3,282 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: places to stay overnight around monument valley

Part of the problem is Monument Valley has no town!

There are three nice, but expensive, motels in Kayenta.

There are a couple of decent motels in Mexican Hat.

Bus tour groups can fill up a motel quite easily and they make their reservations waaaay in advance.

Venice, Florida
Level Contributor
567 posts
124 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: places to stay overnight around monument valley

We are at Goulding's right now. Seems like they have recently renovated their rooms. Ours is very clean and new. The View is booked, and it looks like we are pretty busy, too. Closest town is Kayenta, and there is a fairly nice Hampton Inn there.

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
3,623 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: places to stay overnight around monument valley

We have stayed at Kayenta Hampton too. Very nice. I'd go there again!

Sedona, AZ
Destination Expert
for Sedona, Arizona, Monument Valley
Level Contributor
61,376 posts
244 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: places to stay overnight around monument valley

Don't just show up and expect to find a place to stay. You could be many hours away from the first available room.

The View Hotel is the best and only place to stay inside the tribal park at MV. It books fully many months in advance. Your only chance would be to pick up a room that gets canceled. Same with Gouldings Lodge nearby. After that it's Kayenta to the South or Mexican hat or Bluff to the north. Options are basic and limited in those places too. If you don't have lodging booked in advance, don't expect to stay anywhere within 100 miles of MV.

Berks UK
Level Contributor
187 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: places to stay overnight around monument valley

My advice would be any of the small towns and hotels mentioned above...BUT, don't give up on The View, check on line every day and at different times of day as we did and you might be lucky like we were..it really is worth it.

Park City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Utah, Winter Sports
Level Contributor
19,356 posts
426 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: places to stay overnight around monument valley

We were just there last week, didn't stay. In my opinion, even after being a Goulding's fan for years, The View is THE place to stay. Gouldings would be second choice. Third choice would be San Juan Inn in Mexican Hat. There's also good choices in Bluff, Blanding and Monticello (getting a bit far, but Grist Mill Inn is very nice there). I wouldn't really recommend Kayenta as much, but there are some decent places there, too.

8. Re: places to stay overnight around monument valley

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 29 October 2012, 15:17