We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

one night - couple of questions

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
616 posts
157 reviews
Save Topic
one night - couple of questions

Hi. In early September we're spending a night in a cabin at Gouldings and can't wait to see sunrise/sunset having driven MV many years ago whilst passing the area. We'll arrive around noon and want to get away in reasonable time the next morning. The main purpose is to see this wonderful area again and get some amazing photos! I've read about photographers point and can we also visit The View to get photos from there or are there any other places that are easy to get to for the sunrise/sunset? We're happy to do the short hike for photos too. We're thinking of a tour for the main area to save stressing about the rental car - but want to make sure there's plenty of photo stops. Just wondering if we can book something on arrival, think it may be better to do an afternoon one then do our own thing at sunset? Please help me get the most out of our short stay! Thanks.

Ohio, USA
Destination Expert
for Bryce Canyon National Park, Bryce, Arches National Park
Level Contributor
7,651 posts
446 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: one night - couple of questions

Photographers Point is at The View (there is a sign out behind the restaurant area that shows the location). Basically anywhere right around The View will provide excellent views of the Mittens and Merrick Butte. You just have to pay the park admission fee and you are free to roam the area around the hotel and visitor center.

I suggest taking a back coutnry tour to see more of the area. This will save the wear and tear on the rental car and provides access to areas that you cannot see driving yourself. And there are MANY photo ops. When my wife and I visited, we did a morning tour, but I bet there are great shots to be had with an afternoon tour as well (but then I'm a photographer of opportunity and take pictures because I'm there, even of the conditions are not perfect). We used Tom Philips tours and had a great experience.

Park City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Utah, Winter Sports
Level Contributor
18,433 posts
421 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: one night - couple of questions

The view from the deck of The View, which is open to the public, is one of the best and most iconic views of sunset (and not too bad for sunrise either). You might have a problem accessing it for sunrise if you're not staying there - I'm not certain.

For sure if you want to do serious photography you're better hiring your own guide. If you take a group tour, you'll be very limited to the stops and time allocation if you're looking to do serious photography. I'll let others weigh in on guide recommendations. There's a wealth of good photographic spots along the highway in 5-10 miles either direction.

it is a good idea to have things booked in advance. Gouldings can also help you with that.

Have fun.

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
616 posts
157 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: one night - couple of questions

Thanks, not planning on serious photography as such, but I do take lots ... and lots... of pics and try and get some decent ones. I think an afternoon tour, and then sunset on the deck of The View. Is the back country tour better than doing the main route, I know we did this many years ago but happy to do it again via a tour? I'll see if perhaps we can combine tours but didn't want to spend too many hours on a tour. Is The View a good place to eat for veggies that just want simple food such as pizza/pasta/veggie burger and fries? Thanks again, don't know what I'd do without T/A's friendly folk!

Sedona, AZ
Destination Expert
for Sedona, Arizona, Monument Valley
Level Contributor
58,799 posts
236 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: one night - couple of questions

Take the guided back country tour. It will get you to places and sites beyond the public access loop road. You'll get photos that you can't get any other way.

The View is a great place to eat, but don't expect burgers and fries and pizza. This is the Rez and they will offer a variety of dishes using more traditional ingredients.

Edited: 20 June 2012, 04:22
Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
616 posts
157 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: one night - couple of questions

Thanks RedRox, good to know the food is great in The View, I just put simple food as didn't expect there to be much choice in MV, thought it may be like Bryce where I've read not to expect too much! Will look into back country tours now.

gaithersburg, md
Level Contributor
14 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: one night - couple of questions

Think about taking a sunset tour with Navajo Spirit Tours. One of the guides, Larson, is also a photographer and has had a couple of his photographs published in Arizona magazines, a pretty big deal for a 21 year old. He is a Navajo and shares a lot of his spirituality and love of the land on his tours. He will help with photo opportunities and spots. It's a great tour.

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
616 posts
157 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: one night - couple of questions

Hi, been looking at tours now and want to take a guided tour of the general 17 mile route plus the back country so it's about a 3 hour tour. Was thinking late afternoon on our arrival 3pm, which would suit us best, so we can be back to photo sunset from The View possibly. Is this a good time of day for the light for photos on this tour? Or we do a sunrise tour of the same area. However, that day we plan on driving Moki dugway and going to natural bridges on our way to capitol reef so didn't want to leave MV too late in the day. Sunset is around 7.30pm when we're there and sunrise around 7am (early Sept). Is there anywhere we could drive ourselves to get a great pic of the sunrise without driving the 17 mile route? We're at Gouldings in a cabin so may not be able to get into The View. That way we could then do the walk and set off on our way. Thanks again folk.

8. Re: one night - couple of questions

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 June 2013, 05:42