We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

MV 17 mile Loop Road.

Lansing, Illinois
Level Contributor
13 posts
19 reviews
Save Topic
MV 17 mile Loop Road.

Lets cut to the chase. I have read that this road is difficult to navigate with a regular sedan. How hard would it be to drive it with a mid size suv, such as a ford escape?

Ohio, USA
Destination Expert
for Bryce Canyon National Park, Bryce, Arches National Park
Level Contributor
7,668 posts
446 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: MV 17 mile Loop Road.

I own a Ford Escape; drive it everyday. I would not take my Escape on that road. I also think the rental car companies would frown on it. Could you do it? Yes. But here's the deal, The road is pretty rough, particularly the initial part from the parking area into the scenic drive (at least it was a couple years ago we we visited.

Also, I would recommend taking a guided tour for a couple of reasons. First and primary, you get to see mroe of the area. The guded back country tour covers more territory than the road that "anybody" can drive. Second, why not leave the driving to the folks who know the road; that way you can enjoy the scenery without worrying about ruining your car.

Just my $0.02.

Lansing, Illinois
Level Contributor
13 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: MV 17 mile Loop Road.

Who better than to give advise on this than some one that owns the vehicle that im going to rent at the Vegas airport to make my tour of Arizona. Thanks OH, we will take a tour.

Sedona, AZ
Destination Expert
for Sedona, Arizona, Monument Valley
Level Contributor
60,847 posts
244 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: MV 17 mile Loop Road.

The loop is more like 11 miles. The recommended time to drive it is 2 hours. That alone should tell you about the condition of the road. OH has given you the best reasons though. Book a back country tour and I promise you won't regret it.

Uden, The...
Level Contributor
60,942 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: MV 17 mile Loop Road.

We have been on that road several times and it can be hard to drive esp after rain when the sand washed away and the rocks will be sharper. That said I've seen convertibles and even an RV on that route. Think that's crazy.

Endless Mountains...
Level Contributor
1,659 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: MV 17 mile Loop Road.

A real Washboard road,nightmare to drive.....like RedRox said, take a tour you won't regret it..

Catch the museum/homestead across the highway at Gouldings..well worth the stop..

Edited: 31 March 2013, 17:13
Kansas City...
Level Contributor
567 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: MV 17 mile Loop Road.

Do the tours have to be booked ahead? Or can you just show up and find a guide to do a tour on the spot? I'm not sure what time we will be arriving at the entrance. We will have spent the night in Monticello and plan to pass through and visit Monument Valley with the next night spent in Kayenta.

Sedona, AZ
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
60,847 posts
244 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: MV 17 mile Loop Road.

Go to the Visitor Center. There should be some guides and vehicles available.

Kansas City...
Level Contributor
567 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: MV 17 mile Loop Road.

After we leave Monticello in the morning, we will visit Natural Bridges. Then we'll head to the visitor's center at Monument Valley. If we arrive in the afternoon, will there still be guides ready to take us on a short tour? I'd only be interested in one of the $25 pp tours. I also be willing to join others to make up a car load.

Sedona, AZ
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
60,847 posts
244 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: MV 17 mile Loop Road.

Yes, there should be guides available. However, I'd recommend that you choose a slightly longer back country tour. Trust me, it's worth the time and the money.

Kansas City...
Level Contributor
567 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: MV 17 mile Loop Road.

As we will only have an afternoon and need time to drive to Kayenta where I have a reservation to stay for the night, do you think 2 hours will be enough time? We are on our way to the grand Canyon and cannot spend any more time in this area. Oh, and this will be around May 1-2.