We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Monument Valley, Hopi/Navajo Nations and Grand Canyon

San Diego...
Level Contributor
24 posts
Save Topic
Monument Valley, Hopi/Navajo Nations and Grand Canyon

Hi! We are looking into planning about a week in Arizona in late September, tentatively - we are flexible on timing and are just looking into possible itineraries. We are based in San Diego and planning on renting a car, spending a day in Phoenix, drive to Grand Canyon, spend a day, then a day or two in Monument Valley, catch a couple of days in Navajo/ Hopi country, then back home. Monument Valley really is one place that we want to see. As far as the rest of the itinerary, we are a open to suggestions of what is feasible. We like to visit cultural sites, outdoor sites and stay away from obvious tacky tourist trap areas. Appreciate thoughts on visiting Tuba City, Walpi, Window Rock and which parks are the best to visit, amount of time to spend for two forty-somethings who like to take time to explore and enjoy nature. Also, for Monument Valley, I've read that the loop road is prohibited to rental cars. I don't know too much about Monument Valley, but I am assuming that you can get to the View without taking the loop road. Yes? Also - not sure how far in advance to book rooms for this trip. We may not have the dates locked in until much closer to time. Thanks!

Mentioned in this post
Arizona
Arizona
United States
San Diego
San Diego
California
Phoenix
Phoenix
Central Arizona, AZ
Monument Valley Safari
Sightseeing Tours, 4WD, ATV & Off-Road Tours, Hiking & Camping Tours, Nature & Wildlife Tours, Private Tours
Goulding's Lodge and Tours
Sightseeing Tours, Gift & Speciality Shops
Uden, The...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
60,942 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Monument Valley, Hopi/Navajo Nations and Grand Canyon

Hi

As you are planning to visit several states maybe best to put this on the Road Trips forum

tripadvisor.com/ShowForum-g1-i12567-Road_Tri…

I already try to give you some answers:

The loop road is not prohibited to drive yourself. You have to pay your entrance fee ($ 5,00 pppd). The road (actually it's a 13 miles loop) can be very rough though and your rentalcontract won't allow driving dirtroads but it's not prohibited by the Tribal Park. You can get to The View hotel all on paved roads.

Why do you want to spend a day in Phoenix with your limited time? Have you checked Sedona www.visitsedona.com ?

You can't book your reservations early enough esp for Grand Canyon www.grandcanyonlodges.com and Monument Valley. One week really won't give you much time with the long drives from and to San Diego.

Tet

Mentioned in this post
Phoenix
Phoenix
Central Arizona, AZ
Sedona
Sedona
Arizona
San Diego
San Diego
California
Sedona, AZ
Destination Expert
for Sedona, Arizona, Monument Valley
Level Contributor
63,720 posts
247 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Monument Valley, Hopi/Navajo Nations and Grand Canyon

The road to the View Hotel is fine. It is maintained. The loop road begins and ends near the hotel but it is an unmaintained road. Conditions vary literally day to day. For this reason, rental companies prohibit driving on unmaintained roads. I have never Ben on the loop road when I haven't seen at least one vehicle broken down or stuck. This is only an 11 mile road, but the problems are there all the time.

If you are really interested in the native cultures, this is a perfect place to show them your support by employing a native guide and saving wear and tear on your own car.

Mentioned in this post
The View Hotel
The View Hotel
6,037 Reviews
Monument Valley, UT
San Diego...
Level Contributor
24 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Monument Valley, Hopi/Navajo Nations and Grand Canyon

Thanks Redrox! Appreciate the quick response back. We are looking into the native tours - we were checking Native Spirit in particular - since they had such great reviews. It looks like a tour really adds to the experience.

San Diego...
Level Contributor
24 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Monument Valley, Hopi/Navajo Nations and Grand Canyon

Thanks Tet -

Noted on Sedona - we are just trying to keep the driving in chunks of less than 6 hours or so a day, and it's about 5 from SD to Phoenix/Scottsdale. It looks like most of the areas we want to see are confined to Arizona, with the exception of MV, which touches into Utah, and is pretty much the only fixed idea we have right now. As I mentioned in the original post, we're just beginning to plan this trip, and so it may be possible to extend a couple of days, or not see something, so suggestions are appreciated. For example, if Grand Canyon should be its own trip and maybe just do Hopi/Navajo nation this trip. Understood on "not too early to book" - not sure if two month before would be too late to plan some of the bookings.

Mentioned in this post
Sedona
Sedona
Arizona
Phoenix
Phoenix
Central Arizona, AZ
Scottsdale
Scottsdale
Central Arizona, AZ
Arizona
Arizona
United States
Utah
Utah
United States
Sedona, AZ
Destination Expert
for Sedona, Arizona, Monument Valley
Level Contributor
63,720 posts
247 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Monument Valley, Hopi/Navajo Nations and Grand Canyon

For the GCNP book something right now. You can always cancel with no penalty. Park lodges book as much as a year in advance. Waiting until two months out is often too late.

Uden, The...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
60,942 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Monument Valley, Hopi/Navajo Nations and Grand Canyon

I'd make reservations earlier than 2 month before. Lodging at MV is limited and often sold out long before.

We like Hopi nation very much. There''s a small motel adobe style in Second Mesa with a small but nice museum. If you want to visit the Mesas take a tour from the hotel and make reservations for a stay also. On the way to Hopi from GC you can see places like Coal Mine canyon and even Blue Canyon but Blue Canyon is on dirtroads again. The drive to Coal Mine Canyon from 264 is just half a mile long on an unpaved road to the small windmill.

Tet

San Diego...
Level Contributor
24 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Monument Valley, Hopi/Navajo Nations and Grand Canyon

Thank Tet, Thanks Redrox - very useful information! Looking forward to seeing this part of the country.

Houston, TX
Level Contributor
4,953 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Monument Valley, Hopi/Navajo Nations and Grand Canyon

We are going to be in Monument Valley in early October; I booked our room at The View last month and there was already limited availability for my date as far as room choice was concerned. Be aware that when you book The View, once the booking is made, if you have to cancel you will lose a small part of your deposit no matter how far in advance you are cancelling. Make sure of your dates before you book.

Uden, The...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
60,942 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Monument Valley, Hopi/Navajo Nations and Grand Canyon

Txofwego. Are you aware of the TA meetup in Escalante first weekend of october? Maybe you can join us.

tripadvisor.com/…49672030

Mentioned in this post
Santa Ana, CA
Level Contributor
3,321 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Monument Valley, Hopi/Navajo Nations and Grand Canyon

I was at Window Rock about 2 weeks ago. Since you asked, I think you could add it to your trip, You'll want to visit the actual window in the rock. They've made a park around it and some outdoor exhibits; especially the Navajo Code Talkers from World War II. There is a visitor center/museum in town which is good for at least an hour or more. One whole wall is devoted to "Miss Navajo Nation" over the years.

Fairly close by is the Hubbell Trading Post. This is maintained by the National Park Service and is good for 1 or 2 hours. Maybe you'll hit it in time for a ranger-led tour.

Way off the grid is Teec Nos Pos Trading Post. This is a fairly important spot for Navajo trading. You'll be the only tourist there. They have their own website.

I think the Dinosaur Tracks near Tuba City is worth a stop. The guys will take you out to them for some money. This is your chance to have the locals cornered and you can ask them a lot of questions about their life. Do some searches on the internet to find where these are. My Auto Club map has them located and there are a few signs around the highway.

Sometime on your trip you'll want to eat a Navajo taco. I've been satisfied with mine at Gouldings and at the San Juan Inn in Mexican Hat. I've heard they're good in Cameron. I don't know about The View.

Mentioned in this post
Get answers to your questions about Monument Valley