We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Monument Valley to Moab - drive after Sunset?

Boston...
Level Contributor
938 posts
13 reviews
Save Topic
Monument Valley to Moab - drive after Sunset?

Good Morning TA Experts,

I am in the initial stages of planning a short trip down to Moab area to see Arches in Sept/Oct. Ideally, I would like to base myself at Moab and want to do a day trip to Monument Valley. After reading about MV, I would like to watch the sunset in MV and then drive back to Moab. Is it safe/advisable to drive back to Moab after sunset/dark in a car(Not 4x4). Since it will be my first trip to Utah & considering the terrain, I am curious - are there any rest-areas/gas stations between these two places incase of emergencies?

Mentioned in this post
Moab
Moab
Utah
Utah
Utah
United States
Park City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Utah, Winter Sports
Level Contributor
19,936 posts
442 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Monument Valley to Moab - drive after Sunset?

Shouldn't be a problem. Do keep a keen eye out for wildlife on the road after dark. Some may consider that an issue, but I would be fine on it with caution. You have plenty of towns conveniently spaced including Mexican Hat, Bluff, Blanding and Monticello. I believe all of them have fuel at night - BUT I would suggest that you not take any chances and keep your tank full. The terrain is pretty flat to slightly rolling, all very good highway.

You can watch the sunset and still have 30-45 minutes of twilight left to get started back.

Have fun.

Mentioned in this post
Uden, The...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
60,942 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Monument Valley to Moab - drive after Sunset?

Be careful south of Moab. Those signs for wildlife crossing aren't there for nothing.

Mentioned in this post
Moab
Moab
Utah
Boston...
Level Contributor
938 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Monument Valley to Moab - drive after Sunset?

Whoa! Thanks Tumbleweed & Tet for your quick replies! Just curious - what kind of wildlife are we talking here? I have driven Yellowstone in the dark - slow & watchful but it is within a park. Here, I am more worried about the traffic conditions - will I be the only car on the road for miles with nothing around?

I mapped all those above towns on Google maps and as you mentioned all them are about 20-25 miles apart. It looks like the longest stretch without much communities will be between Moab & Monticello?

Mentioned in this post
Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
455 posts
245 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Monument Valley to Moab - drive after Sunset?

Tet14 isn't kidding about the wildlife signs south of Moab. I'd never seen a deer crossing sign illuminated with such big flashing lights until I saw those posted in this neck of the woods. They're flashing for a reason. Deer do bound across the road and leap the fences often in this stretch of the road so just be on guard. Except for the deer, you should be fine. The roads are well maintained and there are towns with gas stations along the way.

Mentioned in this post
Moab
Moab
Utah
Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
455 posts
245 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Monument Valley to Moab - drive after Sunset?

No, there will be other cars on the road. Granted, you won't be driving in city conditions (bumper to bumper), but should you break down, you won't be stranded there for days on end either. Between going through the towns and seeing some other cars on the road with you, you shouldn't have the fear of being in the middle of nowhere by yourself.

Boston...
Level Contributor
938 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Monument Valley to Moab - drive after Sunset?

Thanks Gwen. I just want to be sure & get an idea as it might be a solo trip!

Uden, The...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
60,942 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Monument Valley to Moab - drive after Sunset?

I'd fill the tank in Mexican Hat when you're still in the twilight. I would not stop in Blanding or Monticello in total darkness. Not that's unsafe but to me it just doesnot feel good.

Mentioned in this post
Salt Lake City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Utah
Level Contributor
16,263 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Monument Valley to Moab - drive after Sunset?

I thought that it was open range through the White Mesa area north of Bluff. So there could be cows.

We pulled into one Bluff store for gas and they closed down while we were walking up to pay for it. I think it was 8pm... but it was January.

Mentioned in this post
Mesa
Mesa
Central Arizona, AZ
Boston...
Level Contributor
938 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Monument Valley to Moab - drive after Sunset?

Thanks Tet & Kbecjeans for the advice. Will definitely fill up the tank before leaving MV.

Sedona, AZ
Destination Expert
for Sedona, Arizona, Monument Valley
Level Contributor
64,731 posts
248 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Monument Valley to Moab - drive after Sunset?

The area around Monticello has more deer crossing the road than I've ever seen in one area before. We ALWAYS see deer there from late afternoon into the evening. With a speed limit of 65 mph you won't see them unless you are constantly watching.

Mentioned in this post
Get answers to your questions about Monument Valley