We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Quick visit suggestions

Wilmington, Delaware
Level Contributor
168 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Quick visit suggestions

We are basically passing thru the area. How much of MV can be seen from Rt 163? Can you see the formations if you stop at the visitors center but don't do any of the roads there?

Thanks!

Park City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Utah, Winter Sports
Level Contributor
16,912 posts
388 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Quick visit suggestions

Take the five minutes it takes to drive to the viewpoint at The View. Would be sad to pass through and not take advantage of the opportunity.

Sedona, AZ
Destination Expert
for Sedona, Arizona, Monument Valley
Level Contributor
55,181 posts
225 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Quick visit suggestions

The OP is planning a drive from the Grand Canyon National Park to Four corners, MV, Page, Bryce and Zion and on to Las Vegas in a day. The proposed drive by at MV would be after 4 + hours in the morning.

To answer the question. Turning onto 163 at Kayenta it's a 30 minute drive to the turn off for the Tribal Park. On the way you can see shapes and rock formations. If you turn and enter the tribal park you'll pay the $5 pp entry fee at the booth and you can proceed to the visitor center. From there you'll get distant views of the iconic Mittens. It's the spot where the 11 mile loop road commences. Normal drive or tour time for the 11 mile loop is 2-3 hours.

If you stay on 163 and bypass the tribal park you can drive further into Utah and still see rocks and shapes from the road. The other classic view is at mile marker 13, another 15-20 minutes up 163 where you can turn around and see the valley in the distance. At that point you would want to turn back and return to Kayenta to continue the marathon.

Minimum time, without entering the tribal park, 90 minutes. And you will not really have seen much in that time.

Salt Lake City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Utah
Level Contributor
15,594 posts
144 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Quick visit suggestions

You can't see Monument Valley from hwy 163. You can see some interesting rock formations for sure, but if you want to see the valley and get the iconic Mitten photos you need to take the drive to the visitors center and take a look from there.

Now I know you have been told that you need to stay longer, but really a 15 min visit for the view is still a visit with a great view. However it will cost you $5 per person for that 15 min visit.

I took my mother on a road trip for that view. It was a three day trip for us from SLC. The View hotel was being built (so construction confusion), the visitors center was closed, the parking lot was gravel, she could barely walk, she complained all the way from the car to the lookout, the wind was blowing fairly fiercely, but we got up to the viewpoint, spent a few minutes there, got someone to take our picture and then left and ate our lunch in the car along the road instead of at a picnic table there. That photo has her biggest smile of the whole trip. It sits proudly on her mantle. It was worth the whole trip for that picture.

Don't let someone else tell you what is important to you.

Bedford,U.K
Level Contributor
1,160 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Quick visit suggestions

I agree. Even if its just for the classic 'View' of the Mittens, its well worth the detour and the few $$

Im sure 15-30mins of your time will be well worth it.

You will be disappointed to miss out knowing you were oh so close.

Ive hundreds of shots of the Mittens and i keep telling myself they are all different!

Be sure to do MM13

Salt Lake City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Utah
Level Contributor
15,594 posts
144 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Quick visit suggestions

Just read on another page that the fees have changed. For a car with 4 people it will be $20 total, $10 for additional.

6. Re: Quick visit suggestions

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 03 May 2015, 06:16