We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How far is it from zion ponderosa ranch to willis creek?

usa
Level Contributor
8 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
How far is it from zion ponderosa ranch to willis creek?

I didn't realize how close Grand Staircase was to where I will be staying at Zion Ponderosa Ranch Resort; BUT I have read about this nice slot canyon called Willis Creek. Everything I have read says it's a nice hike for the whole family, but some internet sites say it's only 9 miles from Mt. Carmel and others say it's an hour and a half drive. Some say you need 4 wheel drive to get to it, others say you can take a "nice' short hike down skutumpah rd. Has anybody been there? Is it far from Zion Ponderosa? Is Willis creek worth seeing? Or should I stick with hiking the Narrows? I've never been to the east side of Zion before, so I am excited to venture out and see new things but am not sure where to go. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

Charlotte, North...
Level Contributor
1,552 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: How far is it from zion ponderosa ranch to willis creek?

Utahgirl: I would recommend checking out the following web page that discusses the Willis Creek hike. BE SURE TO CHECK OUT THE PHOTOS AS WELL. This is near the top of my "alternative" hikes.

zionnational-park.com/grand-staircase-hiking…

If you're planning any hikes in the Zion area, that entire website is a really good addition to Joe Braun's site. I still would make the Narrows a priority over Willis Creek slot if you've never done the Narrows before.

Salt Lake City, UT
Level Contributor
908 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: How far is it from zion ponderosa ranch to willis creek?

I think part of the confusion is that there is a Willis Creek inside Zion National park, up in the NW part. If you're referring to the Willis Creek in the GS-E NM, then it will be a substantial drive from the east side of zion. When I did Willis Creek a few years ago, I measured the drive on Skutumpah Rd. being 1 hr 30 min from Kanab coming from the south, or 22 min from Cannonville coming from the north. So, about 1:45 either way. If you are driving a regular car, I'd definitely recommend going via the northern route, as there is much less off pavement driving this way. I don't remember the road being too bad. Should be passable to a car with decent clearance *in good weather*.

The Willis Creek hike is great, one of the easier slot canyons around. Not terribly long though.

3. Re: How far is it from zion ponderosa ranch to willis creek?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 30 August 2009, 22:15
Get answers to your questions about Mount Carmel