We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best Vehicle for Living in Ogden?

Which Ogden hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Phoenix, Arizona...
Level Contributor
19 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Best Vehicle for Living in Ogden?

If I lived in Ogden, in town, and only had one vehicle as my daily driver, what would you choose between a Ford F-150 4X4 Truck or a Ford Flex with all-wheel drive? Both vehicles meet my needs, but I'm worried about snowy/icy road conditions in the winter. If I get a Flex, will I find myself wishing I had a "real" 4X4 instead when the weather is poor? And if I wanted to go hit the ski slopes, will the Flex get me there and back? Is 4X4 overkill? I do not intend on doing any off-roading. I appreciate your insights. Thank you!

7 replies to this topic
Salt Lake City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Utah
Level Contributor
15,699 posts
146 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best Vehicle for Living in Ogden?

Will you be doing much driving? I hate to drive a 4x4 for everyday travel. Especially if it is longer distances or more miles. It would help get you up the canyons when they are snowy, but if you don't need to go during a snow storm you can wait it out and then head up after the roads are cleared. So for an all around vehicle I'd go with the Suburu :-)

Salt Lake City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Utah
Level Contributor
4,045 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best Vehicle for Living in Ogden?

I've never owned a 4WD vehicle in my life and haven't been stuck or in a wreck. Knock on wood. If you're not used to driving in snow, 4WD is nice. It makes a big difference. I haven't driven a car with AWD, so don't know how that would compare.

Bus service runs to Snow Basin and Powder Mountain, so that is always an option. People hitch hike up the canyons too. Not out of the norm. I would get whichever one you like best. The gas milage is comparable and F-150 looks to be a little cheaper. Depends on what else you want the vehicle for. You'll only encounter snowy roads 15-20 times out of 365 days in a year. I would just go with what you like best and know you can always trade, if you don't like it.

Park City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Utah, Winter Sports
Level Contributor
17,487 posts
403 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best Vehicle for Living in Ogden?

Two completely different vehicles having nothing to do with the drivetrain. One's a pickup truck the other an SUV. Aside from the drivetrain, think about what you need. Do you really want a pickup truck or an SUV. I wouldn't sweat this from a snow/ice perspective, either will work fine as will a front wheel drive. Make the decision on what you really want to drive 365 days a year. Pickup trucks aren't very all purpose.

Good luck.

Kipling. SK
Destination Expert
for Zion National Park
Level Contributor
6,170 posts
131 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best Vehicle for Living in Ogden?

A truck will only offer clearance, and usually not better traction. This is due to the longer wheelbase and the lighter rear end. If you are looking for traction, than investing in a second set of good quality winter tires for the cold months would be the best way to go.

A real 4X4 will not be any different than an AWD, unless you get the truck with limited slip or locking diffs. Most AWD nowadays have the option of 4WD. 4WD simply 'locks' the axles together in the transfer case. I haven't looked at a lot of new vehicles, but make sure you can disengage the electronic traction program in the vehicle you choose.

I will have to agree that you should pick the vehicle that you will be the most comfortable in.

Salt Lake City, UT
Level Contributor
908 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Best Vehicle for Living in Ogden?

I admit to not being completely current on the technology, but my 2 cents are that among 4wd/awd vehicles, for winter, on paved roads, you'd be best served with one that drives all four wheels all the time, and doesn't need to be manually shifted into 4wd. That likely means the suv. Assuming the pickup is only part time 4wd, keep in mind that a pickup in 2wd is one of the worst vehicles in the snow, with the lightly weighted rear end spinning easily.

Specifically for commuting just within the valley though, a front drive car with a good set of 4 snow tires is almost always more than adequate. There are ample other reasons for getting large 4wd vehicles, but specifically for snow, you get far more value for the dollar with snow tires. Note that if you will be driving mountain roads routinely, or living somewhere that gets plowed less frequently, these might point you to to an SUV also.

Little Rock
Level Contributor
2,448 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Best Vehicle for Living in Ogden?

The Flex is a great "car" with lots of room (my sister has 2) ... since Ogden is 4,000 to 5,000 feet getting the "eco-boost" (turbo charged) will provide plenty of power when you head to the mountains. She lives in a midwest "snow belt" and has no issues with getting stuck. That being said, if I were living in UT and traveling to the slopes often, I would seriously consider putting on dedicated snow tires in the winter.

Phoenix, Arizona...
Level Contributor
19 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Best Vehicle for Living in Ogden?

Thanks everybody! Flex it is!

Reply to: Best Vehicle for Living in Ogden?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted