We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What to see and do

Princeton, NJ
Level Contributor
56 posts
143 reviews
Save Topic
What to see and do

Hi, My husband and I are going to Orem to check out a school for our daughter and would like to tag on another 2 days. What are the must sees and do's? Also, my 16 year old son might come along. Anything esp. for teens?

Thanks for your help!

Travel4Joy

San Francisco
Destination Expert
for Death Valley Junction, Death Valley National Park
Level Contributor
15,712 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: What to see and do

Well, of course, if you're going to beautiful, quaint and charming Orem, you must stay a couple of days more to really enjoy it.

Orem is 35-40 miles south of Salt Lake City. Take at least a day to go up there and see all the sights. You could also go south to Provo for more school tours if you don't get your fill in Orem.

Closer to Orem, if the kids are into nature and caves, there is Timpanogos Cave National Monument, with guided tours and guaranteed cool weather inside.

http://www.nps.gov/tica/

Also Utah Lake, a freshwater lake with boating and fishing.

If anyone is intrigued by historic mining areas and ghost towns, Eureka is on Hwy 6 west of I-15 (maybe 50-60 miles from Orem) and has lots of old buildings and mining remains.

Salt Lake City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Utah
Level Contributor
16,033 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: What to see and do

Assuming you'll be coming in the summer?

You would be close enough to visit the Kennecott Copper Mine in extreme south west Salt Lake County.

http://www.kennecott.com/?id=MjAwMDA5Mg==

And while a hike to the Timpanogos cave is great I prefer the hike up the mountain. summitpost.org/mountain/…mt-timpanogos.html

At least take the drive from American Fork Canyon over the Alpine Loop to Provo Canyon. It is beautiful. There are several hikes, two to the top and an easy one to Stewart Falls.

You could also head up to Park City and all the fun things at the resort etc.

http://www.parkcity.org/

www.parkcitymountain.com/summer/index.html

Shopping at Cabelas and Ikea

Visit Thanksgiving Point, there are shops and gardens and dinosaurs.

http://www.thanksgivingpoint.com/

Definitely close enough to visit downtown Salt Lake. Maybe make a day out of it and use the new city connect pass.

www.visitsaltlake.com/visit/connect_pass.php

Salt Lake City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Utah
Level Contributor
16,033 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: What to see and do

PS. just discovered the Connect Pass includes Thanksgiving Point Gardens and dinosaur museum. Plus the Tram at Snowbird- take it for a birds eye view without the hike.

Princeton, NJ
Level Contributor
56 posts
143 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: What to see and do

Thank you all! This is a good start because I could not make heads or tails over the general info. We are plannig for sometime during the first week or 2 in August.

Again, much thanks for your replies,

Travel4Joy

utah
Level Contributor
290 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: What to see and do

As a local I feel I must point out the Orem is neither charming nor quaint, unless you love a good strip mall. So, please do not judge the whole of Utah on Orem's finest Walmart parking lot.

That said there are plenty of charming places to go in the area. American Fork Canyon is lovely (as someone pointed out, the Thanksgiving Point gardens are nice for a day.

Provo Canyon is nice if you'd like to hike around Bridal Veil Falls, then take the Canyon up and over to the Heber valley where you can find some charming shops and places to eat in Midway. You may even want to consider staying in Midway, it is cool in the summer, very green in the spring and less than 30 minutes to Orem. The Homestead is great for younger families, as is the Zermat

San Francisco
Destination Expert
for Death Valley Junction, Death Valley National Park
Level Contributor
15,712 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: What to see and do

* "As a local I feel I must point out the Orem is neither charming nor quaint" *

Adjust your irony antenna for best reception :^)

Princeton, NJ
Level Contributor
56 posts
143 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: What to see and do

Thanks again for all your imput. I actually did take seriously the characterisation of Orem having 'beauty, charm and being quaint' - and was a bit confused by it. So, glad for the clarity now.

T4J

utah
Level Contributor
290 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: What to see and do

The irony missed me entirely. Glad to hear we cleared it up before any dissapointment settled in. Friendly and warm certainly.

Enjoy!

9. Re: What to see and do

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 05 October 2009, 02:17
Get answers to your questions about Orem