We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Looking for Nice Accomodations near Deer Valley and Alta

nyc
5 posts
Save Topic
Looking for Nice Accomodations near Deer Valley and Alta

I'm coming to Utah to ski with my 6 year old (has only skied one season so far, but had alot of fun). I was thinking Deer Valley would be the place to go, but i'm up for any mountain that has good snow march 20-24. (thought maybe 2 days at deer valley and 2 days at alta). Also looking for a good kids ski school...and am bringing along a high maintenance husband who does NOT ski (hoping park city has enough to keep him entertained). any advice on a good place to stay would be greatly appreciated! it's been many years since i skied out west and i cant wait!!!!

jjo
Chicago
Level Contributor
479 posts
169 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Looking for Nice Accomodations near Deer Valley and Alta

I'd suggest you stay in or near Park City. First, I think you'll want your 6 year old in the same ski school all four days; I wouldn't recommend switching. If you'd like more than one ski area, Park City has three: Deer Valley, Park City and Canyons. Deer Valley and Park City are both world class (I've never been to Canyons). Also, Park City will offer more for your husband. The advantage of Alta is slightly better snow, but it's very isolated; there is nothing there but the ski area. You could stay in Salt Lake, as the Park City is 45 minutes away, but being minutes away from the skiing is nice. Hopefully others will chime in with specific places.

West Jordan, Utah
Level Contributor
1,979 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Looking for Nice Accomodations near Deer Valley and Alta

I checked on a ski/snowboard message board and Deer Valley's ski school gets the best ratings. Maybe your husband could take lessons at Deer Valley?

Yeah, Park City has Main Street, an outlet mall, ice skating, the Olympic Park and lots to do. Could you talk him into cross country skiing?

Another alternative would be to stay in the Salt Lake Valley. It's about an hour drive up to Deer Valley or 45 minutes to Alta assuming no storms. But then your husband would be closer to things like museums, basketball,, hockey, etc.

Go ahead and laugh, but if you rent a car, you know what you can do near Park City? Go snorkeling. There's a hot springs in a crater in Heber City about a half an hour away. Heber City also has cross country skiing and the Heber Creeper train.

West Jordan, Utah
Level Contributor
1,979 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Looking for Nice Accomodations near Deer Valley and Alta

Park City has accomodations ranging from the Stein Ericksen Lodge which is about $400 a night or so? I don't know. I'm never going to stay there. Then, they have places like the Holiday Inn Express that cost a lot less back by the freeway. But if you pay less, you have to drive back into Deer Valley or take the bus.

I have stayed next to Alta at Snowbird, but not during ski season. I stayed at the Cliff Lodge and it was nice.

If you want to save money near Alta, you could stay down in the valley and drive up or take the bus up. There is a very wide variety of places in the SL Valley, from Motel 6's to the Grand America (where David Beckham and George Bush stay.)

Park City should also have lots of condos if you don't mind cooking. Make your husband cook if he's not going to ski.

I have a 6 year old myself and I want to get her started skiing. So after you go, post a report on how it went.

nyc
5 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Looking for Nice Accomodations near Deer Valley and Alta

Thanks to everyone for the terrific advice. Still looking around for a place to stay, but am thinking the hotel at the Lodges at Deer Valley or the Marriot. Will definitely let you know how it goes with the husband and the 6 year old. Loved the snorkeling idea. Can't wait to get on skis. Will have to get by with the east coast mts before i get there.

Park City, Utah
2 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Looking for Nice Accomodations near Deer Valley and Alta

I vote the Park City area. Unless you're staying at Alta or Snowbird (recommend the Cliff Lodge), you take a chance a storm will close the road up to Little Cottonwood Canyon to Alta and then you're making other plans. Of course Alta is not to be missed but there's not much for a non skier there.

Mark

Park City, Utah
Level Contributor
502 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Looking for Nice Accomodations near Deer Valley and Alta

From a person who used to snowboard in Utah prior living in Utah, stay in Park City. Park City has everything for everyone, anytime of the year. I own a place there and spend a few weekends a month there even though I live only 40 minutes away.

nyc
5 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Looking for Nice Accomodations near Deer Valley and Alta

thanks for the comments on Park City...we don't plan on doing any snow boarding, so does that mean we'd be better off at Deer Valley? sounds like there is much more to do in Park City...Is there much of a price difference between Park City and Deer Valley? thanks for all the feedback!

seattle
1 post
Save Reply
8. Re: Looking for Nice Accomodations near Deer Valley and Alta

Empire Place is terrific for family's and children. Luxury home that is a very quick walk to the ParK City mountain resort. Great set up for everyone. The owners have a complete selection of movies and games for the kids, as well as a hot tub we all enjoyed. This home books early every year. They have nice touches like welcome drinks, nicely stocked kithchen if you chose to stay in for meals, two master suites with lovely bathrooms and a kids room on a separate floor with it's own bath as well.

Web Site:

parkcitylodgings.com

Park City, Utah
2 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Looking for Nice Accomodations near Deer Valley and Alta

Deer Valley accomodations are pricier but if you shop around early you might get a good deal. By far the best on mountain food anywhere in the country. Not your dried out burgers and fries here. But you will pay. Generally, it's also less crowded than PCMR and the service you get (if you need it) is top notch. Both ski schools are good. Keep in mind a great free bus system that will take you to either place and to old town from many locations around the Park City / Deer Valley areas. For a good map google "Park City Bus". Some here may want to comment on the Canyons but I've never skied there. Have fun. You really can't go wrong.

alvinut
Level Contributor
266 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Looking for Nice Accomodations near Deer Valley and Alta

Deer Valley, PCMR and the Canyons ski areas are all in the town of Park City, and all within a 5 to 10 minute drive/shuttle to main street, so regardless of which actual resort you stay at or near, you will have easy access to everything the town offers. The mountains themselves are all excellent. Not sure about the ski schools, but it's been my experience that once on the mountain, the Canyons and Deer Valley tends to be a little less crowded than PCMR.

The Deer Valley Resort has the most the ski-in/out lodging options, and is the most refined and upscale of the 3 resorts. The Canyons is the youngest of the three, and seems to have a fair amount of newer lodging close to the gondola, but not much that is truly ski in/out. PCMR also has limited true ski/in out options, but lots of (generally older) lodging an easy walk or shuttle to the base area.

My personal favorite is to stay on or near main street. Between all the restaurants/shops and nightlife and the convenient (and rarely crowded) lift to mid mountain PCMR, the only mandatory driving/shuttling is too or from the airport. But I don't have children - which might make one of the hotels or condos closer to the resorts a better option. For example, the Marriott at the base of PCMR and the Grand Summit at the base of the canyons seem to have more activities for kids - and less nightlife right outside the front door. and of course for ultimate luxury there's stein eriksen which is literally in the middle of the mountain at Deer Valley (with a price to match!).