We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

park city V's Deer Valley to get back into skiing?

Which Park City hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
galway
Level Contributor
14 posts
1 review
Save Topic
park city V's Deer Valley to get back into skiing?

HI everyone,

Only 6 and half weeks to go to our hols and really cant wait. I like to be quite prepared and especially with skiing as need to book some lessons.

My husband and I have skied 3/4 times in Austria so we're intermediates? I suppose but by no means fab...

What I want to know is, have accomm arranged in Old town Park City so thought we would get lessons the first two days.. should we go for park city or Deer Valley for this to get back on our feet? My reasoning was that Deer Valley slopes sound(from reviews) easier? not as busy? easier to find way around when not in lessons? We're not all that famous for studying piste maps as have always been in ski school!Dont think there would be a huge difference cost wise so wouldnt let that dictate. We wont have a car so would be dependent on public transport to get to Deer Valley but assume bus would be very regular.

Really appreciate any feedback and no doubt will have more questions as the time draws nearer on things like food glorius food but will trawl forum first as sure others have asked this recently.TA V Much

Orem, Utah
Level Contributor
506 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: park city V's Deer Valley to get back into skiing?

The bus system will be able to get you where you want to from Old Town. Deer Valley has a better ski school although it may be a little more expensive. DV is also a little less crowded. I'd take your two lessons at DV and then ski the other days at Canyons and PC.

Park City, UT
Level Contributor
355 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: park city V's Deer Valley to get back into skiing?

The bus system (free) will get you to Deer Valley. You can ski Park City Mountain Resort (PCMR) from Old Town using the "Town Lift."

I think that Deer Valley is easier to navigate than PCMR. In fact, I rode up a lift a couple of days ago and happened to sit next to a ski area consultant who commented that the lift system at DV was much the best of any in Utah.

The costs of private lessons are comparable at DV and PCMR. Group lessons are cheaper at PCMR, but DV limits group sizes to 4 persons. If you're even considering lessons at DV, make reservations as soon as possible. Many dates are sold out for Presidents Week and most of March. Ski school reservations can be canceled up to 2 days before with full refund. You should compare the cost of group lessons for two of you (2 times $125) versus a half-day private lesson (about $400).

A deciding factor (for me) would be that the food anywhere at DV is excellent. PCMR has typical ski resort (adequate) food.

surrey
Level Contributor
27 posts
137 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: park city V's Deer Valley to get back into skiing?

Sorry if I've jumped to the wrong conclusion but I assume you are Irish (galway, skiied only in Austria). We have just returned from PC/DV and live in the UK. Loved the whole area. It was our second time there. Don't worry too much about piste maps (trail maps). We found that large resort maps were nearly always posted at the top of all chairlifts and there was often a friendly local there (I think they called them ski hosts) to answer questions and offer advice. Other than in restaurants at lunchtime we didn't look at a "hand-held" map all week. Also , trails are very well sign-posted and often have useful extra information like "easiest way down" written on them! All trails are named rather then numbered which I think makes it easier to find your way around than in the Austrian resorts we know(and love too).

Buses are excellent and regular.

BUT don't underestimate the combination of jet-lag and altitude sickness. Obviously jet lag will affect your sleep but apparently so does altitude sickness. Go easy on yourselves for a couple of days. And have a fab time.

galway
Level Contributor
14 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: park city V's Deer Valley to get back into skiing?

Thanks for that, much appreciated and yes Chobhamlass I am Irish! WE having a week in NY first so hope jet lag wont be too bad with splitting the journey.

How did US ski compare with Austria? We looking forward to some powder which there was no sign of last year much and I dont cope well with ice so have high expectations for PC and DV!Cant wait.

surrey
Level Contributor
27 posts
137 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: park city V's Deer Valley to get back into skiing?

Compare Austria to PC? PC much higher, can be VERY cold. The highest point where we usually go in Austria (Ellmau,Soll, Skiweld) is lower than the lowest point in PC. We don't use thermal undies in Europe but we do in PC. Trails on the whole wider than in Austria (plenty of steep but not so many steep and narrow! Colour coding of runs is different. PC has green (easy), blue (bit harder) , double blue (2 blue squares) bit harder still, single black diamond, double black diamond. So no "red" runs. Straight from blue to black (which is a scary thought if you've been brought up on European runs.) PC has LOTS of snowboarders. They are not allowed at Deer Valley. Try the Canyons too (5 mins on the bus) for lots of tree lined easy runs. Food in the resort areas is very good. PC seems to be a culinary centre of excellence. Lots of restaurants in all ranges. Look at Tripadvisor PC restaurant guide. Also try Bandits though for good value , tasty grub. Just wander up PC main street . You won't be disappointed. If you like traditional Austrian apres ski well obviously, you won't find it at PC (or at least we didn't, but that's not unreasonable. PC has its own vibe.). And there are not nearly as many little restautants/bars on the mountain.Just 2 or 3 big ones per resort area really (although we saw a few smaller ones at The Canyons).Lift passes are more expensive in the States (about $80 per day, and the discounts for multi-day passes didn't seem that big, but I didn't do a scientific study on the subject)) but if you ski on the day you arrive in PC and show your plane boarding pass at the ticket booth you ski for free on that day. All in all though it's not THAT different. The powder after a snowfall is amazing . Utahns (I think that's what they are called) are extremely friendly. PC draws worker from all over the world. Lots of young Europeans, South Americans and Australians working in the resorts. Use the Town Lift if you are staying in town. Gets you up the mountain and you can either go on up from there or ski down (well signposted, easy) to the resort centre for lessons.

6. Re: park city V's Deer Valley to get back into skiing?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 September 2009, 01:18