We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Skiing with a carry pack (for lunch)?

Rhode Island
Level Contributor
278 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Skiing with a carry pack (for lunch)?

I know this a weird question, but around here resorts have a base lodge, where people can leave a cooler or picknick basket with lunch in it. it's a little different and more difficult to do out west- or at least that is how it was in Colorado.

I am looking for some sort of pack that I could wear while skiing that has a few sandwiches in. I don't want to lug a backpack however. I was thinking maybe some type of fanny pack?

Anyway...crazy question, but does anyone do this? Any ideas what would work? I just hate spending $100 on lunch!

Leaving Friday! Woohoo!!!

Greentown...
Level Contributor
244 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Skiing with a carry pack (for lunch)?

fanny pack....please no......backpack......possibly yes. There are many companies to choose from for a backpack to carry very comfortably on your back. When in backcountry, I prefer Black Diamond products for avi gear and enough room for sandwiches and such. It sounds as if you are not going to need the avi gear, but check out Black Diamond, or DaKine or even Camelbak for a size you might need to carry for lunch and snacks. They all have different sized bags for different needs.....if you want get it so it doubles as a hydration pack as well. These companies make them so comfortable, you don't even realize it is on your back. Check out Backcountry.com.....a good site for gear.

If no to the backpack....Depending on the number in your party.......I always think about 15 bucks a person for lunch......drink the free water......no soda/sports drinks at lunch. That will save some money.

With friends and on the ski bum budget.....nothing beats....free saltines and lots of free water.....that is the ultimate free lunch. (when with family.....I know that is not an option)

Rhode Island
Level Contributor
278 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Skiing with a carry pack (for lunch)?

Well, I happened to be out shopping at BJ's and saw a hydration pack by High Sierra. It was on $20 so I bought it. it looks perfect, has a water bladder, and lots of room for sandwiches and granola bars!

Moab, Utah
Level Contributor
452 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Skiing with a carry pack (for lunch)?

Most of the PC resorts (I know DV does) have a ski check/basket rental. usually around $5 for the day you can stash you're stuff/lunch there in the AM and grab it at lunch. IMO this beats both spending $100 on lunch and skiing a resort with a pack on.

4. Re: Skiing with a carry pack (for lunch)?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 August 2010, 06:18