We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Park City in May

Medford, OR
Level Contributor
216 posts
68 reviews
Save Topic
Park City in May

Will Park City really be " pretty much closed down" in May? We are planning a trip to Park City--hopefully in May--but heard that much of the town "shuts down" prior to Memorial Day so that restaurants, shops, etc. get a break between seasons and that they reopen the holiday weekend. We'd like to come before the Memorial Day holiday weekend, but we know how pitiful it can be to be in a town shut down for "out of season," having recently experienced this elsewhere. Is May a good time to visit?

Mentioned in this post
Park City
Park City
Wasatch Range, UT
Salt Lake City, Utah
Level Contributor
405 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Park City in May

Park City is not an amusement park that closes when the last tourist leaves. It is a living, breathing, beautiful city that is fun to visit no matter what time of the year you come. There is no off-season in PC. But May is a transitional month between the ski season and the summer season. The stores are open and a benefit of in-between season is, fewer tourists. I prefer to visit PC in July and August when the weather is just to-die-for.

Mentioned in this post
Park City
Park City
Wasatch Range, UT
Medford, OR
Level Contributor
216 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Park City in May

Thanks for your response. We're locals in a tourist area ourselves and we love the so-called "off-season" here for the same reasons. It sounds like May will work out fine for us. We're always eager to settle in for a while and experience a place as the locals would, so May actually sounds pretty ideal, given the lower volume of tourists.

Park City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Utah, Winter Sports
Level Contributor
19,947 posts
443 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Park City in May

You'll find a few places closed, but it won't be significant. What you will find, though, are lots of restaurants with two-for-one coupons in the newspaper, so pickup a Park Record (Saturdays and Wednesdays).

Have fun.

Medford, OR
Level Contributor
216 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Park City in May

Thanks so much, Tumbleweedandcactus!

Newport Beach, CA
Level Contributor
328 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Park City in May

Hi....I'd like to add my encouragement for you to visit in May. I went with 3 girlfriends for a girls weekend last May, and we had a great time. We found nearly perfect weather for walking, beautiful green mountains & colorful wildflowers, easy restaurant access, 2 for 1 coupons, etc. I visited in late April the year before and found some closed restaurants, but didn't find that last May.

Park City, Utah
Level Contributor
502 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Park City in May

Park City is a true 4 seasons resort town and I enjoy every month. If I were to say there are a few less desirbible times it would be Mid April to Mid May, Mid Oct to Mid November. That would be the end of ski season and the month leading up to ski season.

Mentioned in this post
Park City
Park City
Wasatch Range, UT
7. Re: Park City in May

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 01 October 2010, 05:17