We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Things to do in October

South Florida
Level Contributor
272 posts
139 reviews
Save Topic
Things to do in October

We are trying to plan a trip for the first week of October. I want to see mountains and experience some cooler weather, and my husband is interested in the National Parks to the South. First are the Alpine slides, zip lines and other activities open in October? Will we have a chance to experience fall colors? Do a lot of things to do close down between summer and winter. The only seasons promoted are summer and winter, not Fall. Also anyone know if the drive to Moab is scenic?

Salt Lake City
Level Contributor
1,190 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Things to do in October

Where will you be driving from? How many total days do you have, and how many of them will be actually in Moab (not traveling to or from)?

South Florida
Level Contributor
272 posts
139 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Things to do in October

Still working out the details. Probably fly into Salt Lake City on Sunday morning and drive to Park City and stay Sunday and possibly Monday nights there. Then drive to Moab and spend Tuesday and Wednesday visiting Arches and Canyonland. Trying to decide if if make more sense to fly home from Vegas for Salt Lake City?

Salt Lake City
Level Contributor
1,190 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Things to do in October

Fly in and out of SLC. It will be much faster than driving to Las Vegas from Moab. I would suggest that you reverse your itinerary and drive straight to Moab from Salt Lake City, spend 3 nights, and then come back to Park City for your last night before flying home. One night in Park City would let you see the small historic district, have a great meal, experience the mountain scenery and relax before flying home. I would suggest that you try to find a hotel on Main St. for that evening. (Perhaps the Marriott Summit Watch, The Treasure Mountain Inn, or the Washington School Inn.) It will be more expensive than staying elsewhere, but if you are on Main St., you'll be in the historic old town and will be able to walk everywhere you'd want to go. Two full days in Park City at the expense of time in Moab would not, in my opinion, be a good trade-off.

The drive to Moab is about 4.5 hrs. from Salt Lake City, so if your arrival time is morning, you could get straight to Moab without delay. The road from Green River to Moab will make you question your sanity in deciding to come to Utah, because it is a flat, straight, boring drive through desolate scenery. Then about 15 min. outside of Moab - the scenery begins to change. It's something that I still get a charge out of after going to Arches for 40+ years.

On that first day, after checking into your hotel, you could drive to Canyonlands for a 1/2 day visit, or you could drive into Arches National Park, walk the Park Ave. trail, and visit the Windows section of the park before returning to Moab for the night. The distance between Arches and Canyonlands is kind of like a medium length commute. You won't have any problem going back and forth between them if you choose to do that.

Make reservations NOW for a Fiery Furnace ranger guided hike on your second day in Arches. I would suggest an afternoon reservation. On the day of that hike, take the Delicate Arch hike in the morning, take a break for a picnic lunch (take it with you because you won't want to drive back into Moab) and then do Fiery Furnace.

You'll have a great time!

Salt Lake City
Level Contributor
1,190 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Things to do in October

I failed to answer your questions about fall colors and the zip lines etc.

Last year, the fall colors were peaking in mid-September, but there should still be some fall foliage in the first week of Oct. The nights will be very chilly, so be sure to bring a warm jacket. Snow is always a possibility, but generally we don't get much snow until around Thanksgiving. I'm not sure about the zip lines and alpine slide. The Park City Mountain Resort will be preparing for ski season at that point, and so it would be worth a phone call to find out about the zip lines and slide. Call 877-845-9920 to find out about that.

Salt Lake City
Level Contributor
1,190 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Things to do in October

One more thing, and then I'll stop posting :-)

The drive from Salt Lake through Spanish Fork is pretty much metropolitan. Between Spanish Fork and Price is mountainous. You'll want to top off the gas tank at Price. After Price, the road goes back down and at that point the boredom will set in (as I mentioned above). But the boring stretch sets you up for the unbelievable glory of Arches and Canyonlands.

Moab, Utah
Level Contributor
449 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Things to do in October

Utahroots all this talk of flat, straight, desolation, boredom and questioning of ones sanity while driving between Price and Moab is a bit rough. I guess I now know that somewhere between the 12 years that I've been driving back and forth to Moab and the 40 that you have been is the time that one becomes Jaded.

I still always find something amazing on the drive which I make about 20 times a year. Book Cliffs on left and the Swell on the right, Antelope, wildflowers, rain storms, light playing on the cliffs and some of the most amazing rainbows I've ever seen have kept this stretch interesting. The fact that this landscape and the mountains of Spanish Fork and Price Canyon are separated by only 20 or so miles is mind blowing in and of itself. Utah's landscape is arguably the most diverse of any western state and a huge reason that folks the world over choose to visit. To label any part of this amazing place as somehow unworthy seems disingenuous.

Salt Lake City
Level Contributor
1,190 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Things to do in October

Clearly I hit a nerve. Perhaps my opinion of the road between Green River and Moab does have something to do with the number of times I've driven that stretch with such impatience because I just want to be at Arches - one of my favorite places on the planet. Maybe it's because when I'm on that road in the morning, I'm leaving Arches with such reluctance. Maybe it's because I usually can't manage to get out of Salt Lake City when I think I will, and so I end up hitting Green River between 9p.m. and 11p.m., when what I can see is two feet on either side of the road, with headlights coming the other way. Or maybe it's because of how many times (a lot!) I have hit Green River in the afternoon on a school bus from Salt Lake City, without air-conditioning - with 50 of my twelve year old students. Jaded? I don't think so Riverpeople. I've just evidently had different experiences than you've had, or like different landscapes than you like. Disingenuous? No, I'm perfectly sincere, and I honestly do find that stretch of road boring, and wish that it was shorter. What I wrote was intended to let AKdreaming know that when she and her husband have driven hundreds of miles and get so close to Arches without seeing any hint of what they expected to see, that at the end of that stretch of road is an entirely different place. The sight of the entrance to Arches, after coming around that last curve of road, will thrill me until the day I die. Because I love Arches so much, the last 45 min. of driving is, to me, torture. Given how often you drive it Riverpeople, I'm glad it isn't so for you and hope it never will be. And now, AKdreaming, you know that there are at least two very different opinions about that road. I hope you get to see it for yourself.

Moab, Utah
Level Contributor
449 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Things to do in October

Forgive me. The original post asked if the drive was scenic which I guess some feel it is and some feel it isn't. I just wanted to relate my experiences and offer a different take on things.

South Florida
Level Contributor
272 posts
139 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Things to do in October

Thank you both I really appreciate the different views. I've been trying to decide if I should leave Park City Monday Evening or Tuesday morning and was concerned when I heard the drive was boring, but my husband and I drove from Las Vegas to South Rim of the Grand Canyon last year and loved it. It is so different from South Florida. I want to make sure I have enough time in Park City to do all the mountain activities such as zip lines, alpine slides and all around mountain experiences.

Moab, Utah
Level Contributor
449 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Things to do in October

Being originally from the East Coast I understand the attraction to any Western vista. If you enjoyed the AZ desert you will enjoy any driving in Utah.