We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

New Years Eve

Florida
Level Contributor
754 posts
60 reviews
Save Topic
New Years Eve

We normally go skiing in CO every year in Feb. the week after Presidents week. However, our son is now 13 and it is getting harder to take him out of school for a week. We are thinking maybe the holiday crowds are less in PC due to the 3 different mountains. What are the lift lines like the week after Christmas thru New Years? (maybe flying in on Dec. 26 or 27) Approx. what percentage is lodging increased up to for holiday season? What is there to do on New Years Eve with a teen? I'm not too concerned with the extra cost of the flight because we will use points to fly.

Park City, Utah
Level Contributor
43 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: New Years Eve

You will love Park City. Most of my customers "used to go to Colorado." The prices go up about 40%, but that is typical of my ski resorts. The lift lines are not too long. Deer Valley (boarders only) caps the number of tickets they sell so reserve them online.

Mentioned in this post
Park City
Park City
Wasatch Range, UT
Colorado
Colorado
United States
Park City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Utah, Winter Sports
Level Contributor
19,964 posts
449 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: New Years Eve

Both Christmas/New Years and Presidents week are comparable and 100% occupancy weeks. I personally don't have any issue at all with any of the lift lines at any of the three. Deer Valley would be the best as it's capacity controlled (FYI, skiers only no snowboarding).

I ski every day over the holidays and rarely wait more than a few minutes (albeit skiing single).

You really can't beat the diversity of having three resorts and multiple entertainment pods around town, including the rapidly growing Newpark/Redstone entertainment/shopping district out at I-80.

Can't help you specifically on New Year's Eve. We do a bonfire at home and snowshoe. But you should have no problem finding something cool to do. An idea would be to book a reservation at Jupiter Bowl for the evening and go bowling.

Have fun.

Florida
Level Contributor
754 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: New Years Eve

Great news about the lift lines. We want to try all 3 mountains and we are all skiers (no snowboarders in our family) Where is the best place to stay to try all 3 ski mountains? Is it the same lift ticket for all 3 mountains? We need something with a kitchen and don't want to spend more than $400 or so per night. I am currently reading past forums and keep seeing Newpark resort. I checked rates for Dec.27-Jan.2 and a one bedroom in only $259 but that seems a little further away. Since we are willing to spend more money maybe we can get closer to the ski mountains.

Edited: 07 September 2010, 00:34
Park City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Utah, Winter Sports
Level Contributor
19,964 posts
449 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: New Years Eve

The ideal place to stay is in town, but you'll be pushing it to find anything under $400. Park City Peaks would be a choice in that price range possible. Check the Marriott Mountainside or Summit Watch, but they'll probably be over $400.

Newpark Hotel is actually a reasonable choice. Yes, it's a ways out, but you can walk like 100 feet to get on the free bus. You're only 10 minutes from The Canyons, 20-30 from the others. And, you are in the midst of a huge entertainment complex with restaurants and shops. It's actually become a real hotspot in town.

If you do get Newpark, don't get the smallest room. For sure get the rooms with a separate bedroom and living area. They are fantastic. You'll spend lots of time at Maxwells downstairs (pizza, etc.).

Sorry, no joint lift tickets.

Mentioned in this post
Park City Peaks Hotel
Park City Peaks Hotel
63 Reviews
Park City, UT
Marriott's MountainSide
Marriott's MountainSide
627 Reviews
Park City, UT
Park City, Utah
Level Contributor
502 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: New Years Eve

I would explore options on www.vrbo.com and www.flipkey.com for condo's, townhomes, or private homes. Much more bang for the buck in your traditional resort hotel. Im a property owner and I charge thousands less than a 3rd party property management company/hotel condo for a week over Christmas. My rates are extremely reasonable during the Chris

Park City, Utah
Level Contributor
502 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: New Years Eve

.........Christmas holiday. I dont touch $400 anytime of year and I have the # 1 ranked vacation rental property in Park City, UT on tripadvisor.com.

Mentioned in this post
Park City
Park City
Wasatch Range, UT
Florida
Level Contributor
754 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: New Years Eve

Thanks for all the help. Prices are really high for the holiday. We have decided to come January 14-20 instead. Our son has that Monday and Tuesday off from school so he will only miss 2 days. I am going to look on VRBO. Last year I rented a true ski in ski out in Steamboat for only $350/night thru VRBO. It appears even in January prices in PC are much higher. Can't wait to come out there and see if prices are higher for a reason. Maybe we have been missing something always going to CO and never to PC.

8. Re: New Years Eve

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 07 March 2011, 15:36