We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

First ski trip to Utah

Springfield...
3 posts
Save Topic
First ski trip to Utah

Hello,

We would like to go to Utah for a week in February. We are 2 adults with 2 kids, 4 and 6 years old. Both kids will be in ski school, also an adult. We went only in Colorado ( Keystone, Vail and Breckenridge).

Can you recommend us a condo, preferable in a snowboard free zone, ski in/ski out? Many thanks for your help!

Park City, Utah
Level Contributor
43 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: First ski trip to Utah

So glad to hear that you are trying Utah. Most of my customers "used to go to Colorado." Deer Valley is the only place in Park City that doesn't allow snowboarders. What is your daily budget for a place to stay?

Newport Beach, CA
Level Contributor
327 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: First ski trip to Utah

We started skiing Deer Valley when our children were your children's ages to get away from snowboarders, and we never left! Ski school begins the day at Snow Park Lodge. Trails End/Pine Inn, and Black Diamond are the two condo developments that are ski-in/out and flank Snow Park. The St. Regis is just above Snow Park Lodge, too. The Lodges isn't ski-in/out, but is very close and offers free shuttles both to the lodge & into town. I've stayed at both Black Diamond and Trails End/Pine Inn in the past. Both used to offer a shuttle van to drive you around town, also (I assume that they still do). Both are also quite nice, with Black Diamond being a bit more deluxe.

The mid-mountain area is Silver Lake. There are several ski-in/out condo developments there. Also, Stein Erickson Lodge has condo units that are quite nice. From Silver Lake, you can ski down on green runs to Snow Park.

Have fun!

Springfield...
3 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: First ski trip to Utah

Thank you both very much for your answers. I was hit by a snowboarder 2 years ago and last year I was forced out from a free style slope by a snowboarder, that's why we want to choose snowboarder free slopes.

My husband is level 8, skiing for 35 years. I am level 4-5 after 2 weeks of training and the boys are level 3 (4 years old) &level 4 (6 years old).

Having different levels we want everybody to be happy. I noticed that the prices for lessons for kids and adults are more expensive compared to Colorado. I didn't see anywhere on their website how long the kids will be on the slopes, I do not care very much for crafts, singing and playing. We will travel from Illinois for skiing, skiing and only skiing !

I will try your suggestions to see if the hotels or condos are around $ 300/night including taxes.

Ski in/ski out will work best for us like in Colorado, but we will see the offers for beginnig of February.

alvinut
Level Contributor
266 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: First ski trip to Utah

One other option to consider is Alta. It's another ski only resort in Little Cottonwood Canyon, about an hour from Park City. They have great beginner terrain, an excellent ski school, and some of the best expert terrain and deepest snow anywhere in the country - and it's much cheaper than Deer Valley. However, there is no town to speak of - just a few lodges, condos and homes - all located right at the base area. The lodges include all your meals. It's definitely a different experience than most resorts - but might be a bit isolated for an entire week's vacation.

Certainly Park City has MUCH MUCH MUCH more to do off the slopes. But if you're in Deer Valley for a week, it's certainly worth a day trip over to Alta for the experience.

Miami
Level Contributor
306 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: First ski trip to Utah

We prefer PC area as the drive to Alta can be a bit slick from snow and ice. You will have to play it by ear. Nothing to do there but ski. i woild come to PC and drive there one day. Snowbasin is also another great option. Great facilities and lots of snow. You can drive there using the highway roads.

So much more fun staying in PC, a great ski town and so easily accessible from SLC by Highway 80.

San Antonio, Texas
Destination Expert
for San Antonio
Level Contributor
2,219 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: First ski trip to Utah

The 4 year old will be in Banbi club its a half day ski. When you are there based on space you can purchase the afternoon for a small extra fee, its well worth the money. 6 years is rainbow club its mostly all day, theses are both great programs.

You are not going to find ski in/out at deer valley for $300 a night. Its not really need in Park City. At Deer Valley you can store your ski for free, store your boot for free and the bus will drop you 50 ft from the day lodge and you can be on the snow in minutes. Your main concern is how far of a walk to bus stop from there you are staying.

Wild, Wild West
Level Contributor
430 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: First ski trip to Utah

Based on your criteria, I would absolutely go to Deer Valley. Awesome food, great snow, unbelievably perfect grooming skills and very nice employees but YOU WILL PAY FOR IT!!

Too bad you feel the way you do about snowboarders as you will be missing out on tons of great terrain due to you bias. What type of board(s) you have strapped to your feet doesn't determine if you're a menace on the slopes. I have skied with, around and been run into by plenty of skiers in the last 35 years of riding and skiing.

If you change your mind, try out as many resorts as possible in the area. IMO, Snowbasin is the best of all worlds. Great snow, no crowds, $66 lift tix and unbelievably awesome structures (restaurants/lodges, etc) with nicer bathrooms than the Ritz or Four Seasons. Yes, REALLY!!!

Miami
Level Contributor
306 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: First ski trip to Utah

Stick with Deer Valley. It has great kid's instruction and first class facilities. We love Snowbasin, but it is not surrounded by any nearby lodging. Just not convenient. My kids are teenagers now, but I can still remember how great it was to be close to the slopes when they were the ages of your kids. Try DV and you can't go wrong. They will store skis and boots. Stay nearby around the Snowpark area. That is where the instruction is. Have a great time.

Springfield...
3 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: First ski trip to Utah

Thank you all to your advices and opinions. We hope to book soon the holiday and to have a blast!

Have a great weekend!

Pisici

Edited: 09 October 2010, 06:27
10. Re: First ski trip to Utah

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 08 April 2011, 05:17