We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Staying at Solitude?

Hoboken, New Jersey
Level Contributor
141 posts
Save Topic
Staying at Solitude?

I'm heading out for a long weekend in January for a guys weekend.

We are considering staying at solitude. While we don't hit the bars the way we used to, we would like to make sure there is a decent bar / restaurant scene to keep us entertained.

Is that available in Solitude village or is Park City the real only spot for that?

Greentown...
Level Contributor
244 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Staying at Solitude?

If you are on guys trip........consider a day trip to Solitude........great mountain........but nightlife is non existent.......If you want a bar scene, you are going to want to stay in Park City......ski the 3 resorts in town and then take a day trip out to Solitude. Solitude is definitely worth seeing and skiing.........but on a day trip........

I was just there over Thanksgiving with my family........stayed at the Inn.......great storm chaser vacation with my family.....but if I was going on vacation with my buddies..........I would stay in Park City.......and use CanyonHop to get up to Solitude.......

My ski vacations to Park City with my buddies.......we stay at Park City Peaks.......and take day trips up to Big and Little Cottonwood Canyons. The Peaks is reasonably priced and kind of in the middle of the 3 resorts in town....easy free bus trips to the 3 resorts.........and an easy trip into Park City for beers and dinner at night.

Park City, Utah
Level Contributor
502 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Staying at Solitude?

Solitude is one of my favorite resorts and I spend a lot more time up there in the summer than I do the winter and its nice. Just down the at the mouth of Big Cottonwood Canyon, there is Hogs Wallow Bar--take a right across the street from the Porcupine Grill (another good place to eat---toss back a few drinks---more of an eating establishment) about 50 yards to the West of 7'11. Follow the windy road about 1/2 mile and Hogs Wollow (cool local bar, bar food--some great ribs--they smoke em outside) is right on the left---its right in a neighborhood of homes. The Canyon Inn Bar is right next to 7'11 and Porcupine Grill is right next to it--pool tables, bar scene, dancing. Solitude Village is pretty cool overall and is a nice place. There are a few bars you can belly up to if you want to go out and hit a few bars down at the mouth of Big Cottonwood, your only about 15 minutes away by taxi or shuttle. If it were me, I think I would be a little bored up there in Solitude and would need a little social adventure. Stay in Park City, ski at Solitude. Mix it up a little--only about an hours drive.

Park City, Utah
Level Contributor
502 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Staying at Solitude?

......guys trip=Park City. I'd offer you accomodations in Park City but Im booked from now to Feb 1st, 2011 with handful of guests coming and going. FYI--Sundance is going on from Jan 15th-30th in Park City.

Salt Lake City
Level Contributor
1,190 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Staying at Solitude?

Park City is way more entertaining in the evening. However, as noted by Willicarj, the Sundance Film Festival is in Park City from Jan 20-30, so if your trip falls at that time, Park City will be insanely busy.

If you are 45+ and just want to have a couple of quiet drinks before going to bed, then Solitude works.

Park City, Utah
Level Contributor
502 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Staying at Solitude?

Park City is a 4 seasons resort town filled with life and vibe. I'll stick with my guns and say stay in Park City and mix it up with a day trip to Solitude. My dates were off a little with Sundance and the town is a zoo but also a great experience. No discredit to Solitude and its a great place, just depends on what type of experience you are looking for in your trip. There are some great vacation rental homes up at Solitude. Check out vrbo, homeaway, and flipkey.

6. Re: Staying at Solitude?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 June 2011, 05:18