We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

State Liquor Store on the way to PC?

Huntington Beach
3 posts
1 review
Save Topic
State Liquor Store on the way to PC?

Where would be the best place to stop to find a State Liquor store and maybe a grocery store or Costco on the way from the airport to PC? Thanks for any advice :)

Salt Lake City
Level Contributor
293 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: State Liquor Store on the way to PC?

You're in luck! There's a Costco AND a huge liquor store between the airport and PC. From I-15 take the 1300 South exit and turn left onto 1300 S. (east). Turn right (south) on 300 W. at the Wal-Mart (which does have groceries). The state wine store is going to be on your left just north of 1700 S. Costco is just south of 1700 S. on the right side of the street. Remember, no liquor at Costco in Utah (just beer) but the wine store makes up for that.

Huntington Beach
3 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: State Liquor Store on the way to PC?

Thanks for the local hookup!! I was wondering if Costco sold beer! A perfect stop for us who like to party :)

Park City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Utah, Winter Sports
Level Contributor
19,217 posts
426 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: State Liquor Store on the way to PC?

Just one caveat on the wine store noted. Yes, it is a fabulous source for wine. But it's a not so good location for good beer. Note, too, that while Costco sells beer, it's all 3.2. You can get stronger beer (and fabulous selections) in state liquor stores. It's just that that particular wine store isn't the greatest.

Right in Park City we have three state liquor stores. One is Kimball's Junction behind the Chevron just off I-80. Beer and wine selection there is OK. The big store is at the intersection of 224 and 248 in a large shopping complex. The wine and beer selection there is fantastic. The wine selection is almost as good as the Salt Lake wine story and beer selection much better.

Also note that we now have a Super Walmart for grocery shopping.

Have fun.

Edited: 29 January 2011, 05:41
NJ
Level Contributor
52 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: State Liquor Store on the way to PC?

Can you get beer and wine in grocery stores?

Park City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Utah, Winter Sports
Level Contributor
19,217 posts
426 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: State Liquor Store on the way to PC?

3.2 beer, no wine in grocery stores.

Fort Collins...
Level Contributor
904 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: State Liquor Store on the way to PC?

Kind of annoying how the liquor stores only sell beer in individual bottles. While it is nice to get a party mix of beers, it's annoying to transport.

Canada
Level Contributor
412 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: State Liquor Store on the way to PC?

Sorry to hijack this thread! I was going to ask the same question as the OP (that's why this forum is so great!) but I have a twist.

I am arriving in SLC at 7:30pm on the Saturday before the Super Bowl and driving to Park City. We were hoping to watch the super bowl apres ski in our condo while drinking some nice beer on Sunday but I notice that the beer stores are closed on Sunday. Oh no!

In case we arrive late and can't make the store in PC before it closes, is there an easily accessible beer store that sells real beer (i.e. not 3.2%) between the airport and PC?

Thank you!

Park City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Utah, Winter Sports
Level Contributor
19,217 posts
426 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: State Liquor Store on the way to PC?

The main store in Park City is open until 10 p.m. But there's a number of Salt Lake stores open that late. One to consider which is easy access is the one at 3200 East 3300 South. Just take the I-215 south exit JUST before you hit the canyon on the east side of town. Immediately take the first exit. Turn right and it's in a shopping center behind REI.

Here's a link to the store locator:

http://abc.utah.gov/stores/index.html

Park City, Utah
Level Contributor
502 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: State Liquor Store on the way to PC?

3.2 beer is not much different from "high point". Utah beer is actually 4.0% by volume and most people will never notice a difference. 3.2 beer is actually much more difficult to make because with high point, a bad taste can be masked by alcohol. Ask any brewer and they will agree. Some whiskey's are 78 proof, others 80--most people wouldnt know the difference and the same goes for beer. Really what it boils down to is drinking 6 beers of "Utah" beer, is like drinking 5.25 beers of high point. You can get stupid silly drunk in Utah, regardless of the alcohol content of the beer sold at grocery stores. As as person who has enjoyed beers in many parts of the world and 9 years of buying beer at the grocery store in Utah, I have yet to be dissappointed in tossing back a few beers, regardless of the alcohol content. Its more conversations starters for those, including myself, who used to come to Utah and drink beer (and had to pay the memebership fee's which are now gone) The weakness of beer in Utah is greatly exaggerated.

Torrey, Utah
Destination Expert
for Torrey, Capitol Reef National Park
Level Contributor
1,459 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: State Liquor Store on the way to PC?

While I agree that there is plenty of good 3.2 beer the stupid law does prevent more interesting beers from being sold generally. I really like Squatters Outer Darkness Stout for instance, 10.5% by volume. I don't want to get drunk, I just want to be able to drink beer I like and buy it where ever I am (nearest place I can get that beer is 150 miles from home). Then there is the stupidity of not allowing coolers in liquor stores - many micro-brews are not pasteurised or full of preservatives and don't keep well unless cooled (not frozen, 50F is fine).

Edited: 05 February 2011, 23:57