We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Travelling with Older Teens - Lodging & Ski questions

Montreal, Canada
Level Contributor
307 posts
116 reviews
Save Topic
Travelling with Older Teens - Lodging & Ski questions

Hello Utah, we look forward to skiing & seeing your beautiful state. My questions are revolving around keeping 2 teen boys who are great skiiers happy during skiing and apres-ski.

Question 1 :

Which hotels would have the most teen friendly location and amenities? (i.e. breakfast, pool, hot tub, can walk or quick bus to town or movies). We have been looking at taking 2 rooms at Yarrow but possibly other ideas here.

Question 2 :

Which condos have the most teen friendly location and amenities ? (want a pool, hot tub, walk or quick bus to stuff) Fox Pointe seems like a good location for teens to walk to activities & easy drive to all 3 mountains.

Question 3 :

The teens are advanced skiiers. Is there a mountain that has teen programs (i.e. a bunch of teens skiing together ? ) or mountain tours for advanced teens so that they can meet other teens who ski at their level ? Which mountain do we start with to kick-start 6 days of skiing ?

Thanks, Merci, Gracias

Montreal, Canada
Level Contributor
307 posts
116 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Travelling with Older Teens - Lodging & Ski questions

Question 2 : We are favouring condos but we like teen amenities and possibility to meet other teens. New Park is looking good here

Park City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Utah, Winter Sports
Level Contributor
18,933 posts
426 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Travelling with Older Teens - Lodging & Ski questions

Newpark would actually be a really good choice. It's out a ways but great bus service, movie theaters there, bowling alley, great pizza place, etc. A hidden gem. I'm one of the few who actually like the Yarrow. Movie theaters out the back door, so that's a plus. But not much else. I would think seriously about Newpark.

San Antonio, Texas
Destination Expert
for San Antonio
Level Contributor
2,231 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Travelling with Older Teens - Lodging & Ski questions

I generally recommend the PC Peaks over the Yarrow, but in your case I agree Newpark might be the best choice for you.

More kids at PCMR.

Montreal, Canada
Level Contributor
307 posts
116 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Travelling with Older Teens - Lodging & Ski questions

Thanks, unless anyone chimes in, we will book ourselves a condo in New Park. Just waiting for (hopefully) a seat sale soon.

Any comments on Question 3. Our teens are really good skiers and besides a few runs with the old folks (us), they like to do the double-diamonds but they enjoy skiing with other teens from the same level. Any particular mountains that have skiing groups for teens ? They have this at Whistler and it was great.

Newport Beach, CA
Level Contributor
327 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Travelling with Older Teens - Lodging & Ski questions

Deer Valley has a teen program that breaks out by ability level. My kids have done the expert group (it just depends if there are skiers at that ability level when they're there) and loved it, because it was mainly tree skiing and finding new skiable tree areas. They also skied the chutes, which are double black diamond. The only risk is that your boys are the only expert skiers in the program that day. In that case, they'd probably get a fun instructor to take them out but wouldn't meet any other teens. I don't know if Canyons and PCMR have the same program, but their websites might address that.

The Newpark Area is a fun area for the kids.

Montreal, Canada
Level Contributor
307 posts
116 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Travelling with Older Teens - Lodging & Ski questions

Thanks Golden. We will start with DV as we are all skiiers. Can't imagine having no boarders.... too cool. I will research Canyons, PC and if we are brave 1 more mountain for such programs. Usually expensive but makes a difference between a good day and great day since you get a better variety of terrain.

As intermediates, DH & I usually do the free mountain tours so we can get a feel for the mountain.

7. Re: Travelling with Older Teens - Lodging & Ski questions

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 07 November 2012, 05:17