We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Should we ski at DV exclusively?

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
226 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Should we ski at DV exclusively?

Thanks everyone for your help so far--I've learned so much from reading your posts. We'll be in town during the holidays and will have four ski days. Deer Valley sounds like the perfect resort for me-- I am a cautious skier, primarily greens (hoping to build confidence and move to blues on this trip), and I like the idea of no snowboarders. My husband is an intermediate skier (blues).

Would it be unusual to ski all 4 days at DV? Will we get bored? I feel like we "should" try at least one of the other resorts, but based on the terrain maps it appears there is very little beginner terrain at Canyons, and even less at PCMR. I'm not talking about the bunny slope/teaching hill, but actual green (or very easy blue) runs.

I'm also planning to do two days of ski school--if we do try a different mountain (probably Canyons), would it be better to do both days of ski school at DV, or 1 at DV/1 at Canyons? Canyons ski school is about half the price, but I know DV ski school is supposed to be wonderful.

We are not staying at any of the resorts, so location isn't a factor, although I like the convenience of storing our skis at DV all week if we decide to ski there exclusively. Thanks for any advice you have!

Newport Beach, CA
Level Contributor
328 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Should we ski at DV exclusively?

I ski about 25 days a year at Deer Valley. I think that you'll be just fine skiing 4!

Actually, skiing each day at the same place will probably help you build your confidence as you get a sense of the layout. DV is nice and big, and you'll get plenty of variety, especially if you graduate to some blue runs.

I also love lunch! 4 days wouldn't be enough for me to hit all my favorite lunch places. If you share my love of lunch, consider making a reservation at St. Regis, Royal Street Cafe, or Goldener Hirsch. I also like to have at least one lunch in one of Deer Valley's lodges.

As you pointed out, by staying at one resort, you'll have the convenience of checking your skis and boots overnight. I do recommend buying your lift tickets ahead of time for DV, as they sell out over the holidays.

Have fun!

Mentioned in this post
Goldener Hirsch Inn
Goldener Hirsch Inn
137 Reviews
Park City, UT
Park City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Utah, Winter Sports
Level Contributor
19,947 posts
443 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Should we ski at DV exclusively?

Each resort has about the same beginner/intermediate terrain. But given your interests I would say go ahead and spend all four days there. You won't get bored. And you'll have better lift access during holidays with DV limiting daily ticket sales. There's plenty of terrain to keep you interested.

Have fun.

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
97 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Should we ski at DV exclusively?

Can't forget seafood buffet at night. I went last 2 years ago and still tell my friends about it. Its the best buffet I've ever been to!

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
226 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Should we ski at DV exclusively?

Thanks, all. Sounds like four days at DV will work fine. And the food at DV is another huge selling point for me. I'm still finalizing our lunch plans, but will definitely include at least one "fancy" sit down lunch. Thanks again!

San Antonio, Texas
Destination Expert
for San Antonio
Level Contributor
2,261 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Should we ski at DV exclusively?

If holiday you mean christmas, then DV is going to be your best bet. The Canyons is general better later in the season then DV & PCMR. I generally ski only DV. At this time of year it will be less crowded than PCMR, the food is better and so is the beginner area. Wide West, they have made some chnage to thta Area that going to make it eaier for small children, I do not know how will work our for the rest of the traffic. Ontario is a great beginner run. Homeward bound is not, however the upper portion does have some great views. Bandana is a harder beginner. If you are fine on bandana, then Hawkeye, Lost Boulder , Lucky Star & Sidewinder are easy blues that you should not have a problem with.

Mentioned in this post
Boulder
Boulder
Colorado
6. Re: Should we ski at DV exclusively?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 06 December 2012, 10:19