We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best place to teach kids to ski

Which Park City hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Mobile
Level Contributor
212 posts
29 reviews
Save Topic
Best place to teach kids to ski

I will have two kids with me. I'm reluctant to put them in group lessons because I really don't want them riding the lift without an adult and I'm quite capable of teaching them myself. So my question is should I start them at Park City or Deer Valley - which has a better beginner slope? Looks like Deer Valley has a two seat chair which I would guess runs pretty slow but PCMR has a quad so I could ride with both kids. Too many snowboarders at PCMR on the bunny slopes? Is the First Time slope at PCMR as good as Wide West at Deer Valley?

Edited: 10 December 2011, 05:15
Moab, Utah
Level Contributor
434 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best place to teach kids to ski

PCMR's First Time lift accesses better terrain for true beginners. There are two trails to get back to the lift, "First Time" and "Homerun" one of which (Homerun) is almost flat. Both trails are very wide which is great for keeping away from beginner skiers or boarders.

Once the kids get down the basics you can use payday and ski the entire length of Homerun. The entire trail is no harder than the bottom portion.

I will also say that if in ski school your kids will not ride the lift without an adult until they are ready to do so. The instructors help each other out so that all kids have supervision.

Miami
Level Contributor
306 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best place to teach kids to ski

Deer Valley is also excellent. Don't worry. The kids will be fine.

San Antonio, Texas
Destination Expert
for San Antonio
Level Contributor
2,204 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best place to teach kids to ski

Deer valley does have a better beginner slope wide west. The area at PCMR does have a drop off. The 2 chairs on wide west are painfully slow.

Mobile
Level Contributor
212 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best place to teach kids to ski

We ended up spending the first day and PCMR and I taught them to ski in the magic carpet area with the "edgie wedgies" on. By lunch the edgie wedgies were off and we were up the first time lift and back down and by late afternoon on the Payday lift and down Home Run. Everything worked out really well except for the gosh awful congestion at the bottom of the mountain - I was a bit worried about their safety with all the snowboarders coming through the crowd at a pretty good pace. We skied two more days at Deer Valley and ended up on some of the easier blues and all the greens like Ontario, Homeward Bound, Success and Deer Hollow. Deer Valley was a much more pleasant experience for us - less crowded and less fear of my little guys getting run over. Overall a good trip. Also went tubing at Soldier Hollow and had a great time.

Park City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Utah, Winter Sports
Level Contributor
17,521 posts
405 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Best place to teach kids to ski

Sounds like you had a great trip. I taught our 3-year-old grandson a couple weeks ago at DV. Some really cool upgrades this year in the DV beginner area - a series now of THREE conveyer belts, each one a bit longer than the other. It was an awesome way to progress.

One of the two chairlifts has also had its bottom terminal moved uphill a bit, so you need to take a conveyer to get to the lift. But that's OK as you are generally starting on the conveyer belt system.

New Jersey
Level Contributor
185 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Best place to teach kids to ski

AU1989, you sound like an awesome mom and ski teacher!! Thanks so much for taking time to report on your experience post-trip I am taking three of my five kids skiing in DV for the first time in Feb. Not good enough myself to teach them, but have heard great things about ski school. Now just hoping for more snow.

Tumbleweed, thanks for the updates on the beginner area upgrades. You almost make me sorry I'm not taking my 3 year old, but I think he needs another year!

7. Re: Best place to teach kids to ski

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 04 January 2013, 10:29