We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.
Dunstable...
Level Contributor
183 posts
67 reviews
Save Topic
Elephant in the Livingroom

I have to comment that I'm getting kind of nervous about the lack of snow.

Can anyone remember this type of snowless winter in the recent past?

How likely would it be to remain this way?

Just curious as we spent a lot of money for this dream vacation.

Thanks

Moab, Utah
Level Contributor
452 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Elephant in the Livingroom

Driest winter since 1976 in Salt Lake so not many will remember it. Not only was it a long time ago but it was the 70's and these would be skiers we're talking about.

Anyway, to be blunt, depending on where you look north of New Mexico it is the driest winter in anywhere from 35 to 125 years and snow pack is anywhere from 10 to about 50% of normal.

The likelihood is that it will snow but we are well into the season and it is thin.

Pray, burn skis, make offerings to whatever deity that you choose we need snow.

Park City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Utah, Winter Sports
Level Contributor
18,900 posts
426 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Elephant in the Livingroom

Definitely dry in terms of natural snowfall. But resorts operate on manmade. I have had quite a few days already and it's decent. Yes, would love to have more natural. I did other things over the holidays but have had reasonably good comments back from those who have - just crowds a bit more of a problem.

My thinking is that you'll still have a great vacation.

Dunstable...
Level Contributor
183 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Elephant in the Livingroom

Thanks for your optimism.

We will pray.

Park City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Utah, Winter Sports
Level Contributor
18,900 posts
426 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Elephant in the Livingroom

Believe me, we're joining you. I just want to get off my all mountain cruisers and dip into the trees with my new Rossi S3s. That part's not happening yet. But the cruising is still fun.

Park City, Utah
Level Contributor
24 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Elephant in the Livingroom

It is dry, and the man made snow is helping, but I wish you had some of the quality snow that we claim, you know "the greatest snow on earth" type of stuff. As a fly fishing guide for Utah Pro Fly Fishing Private Tours it has helped our business..when the temperatures are warm or even cold, we have been able to give an alternative to only skiing while in park city.

West Jordan, Utah
Level Contributor
1,984 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Elephant in the Livingroom

I was up at Brighton today. The snow wasn't exactly champagne powder. But at least there was some there.

Bay Village, Ohio
Level Contributor
1,174 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Elephant in the Livingroom

Our son works for Deer Valley Resort as a lift foreman and he is "beside himself" over the lack of snow. This is his 3rd year working at Deer Valley and he is about as grumpy as I have ever known him to be. I am sure it will snow soon - the "when" is the question.

Dunstable...
Level Contributor
183 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Elephant in the Livingroom

I do appreciate all your replies. I know I'm not alone in my concerns. Somehow that makes it better.

We'll be there on Feb 20th, so we're hoping,...

I feel for vacationers who may be on their dream vacations now. And for those who earn a living with anything snow related. Although happy for fly fishing guides.

Thanks

Westlake Village, CA
Level Contributor
126 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Elephant in the Livingroom

We live in Southern California and we always go skiing after Christmas in our local mountains, Big Bear, Mammoth etc. This year no snow, only manmade blowers. Last year we had over 60 ft of snow in the southern Sierra.

It has been above 80 degrees here for three days! What a difference a year makes.

#@XX* the La Nina.

Warwick, NY
Level Contributor
119 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Elephant in the Livingroom

We are also coming to Utah on Feb 17th for our dream ski vacation. We can cancel our condo up to 30 days before the trip. Considering canceling and going to Whistler / Blackcomb.

What do you think?

Eric