We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is there anything to see/do with the Great Salt Lake?

Chattanooga, TN
Level Contributor
409 posts
67 reviews
Save Topic
Is there anything to see/do with the Great Salt Lake?

Seems very odd to me that a lake so large and well-known gets no mention of sightseeing, adventure, or even oddities. Is there any reason to visit it other than to drive by it? What about Antelope Island State Park? Anything there?

Mentioned in this post
Antelope Island State Park
Antelope Island State...
936 Reviews
Syracuse, UT
Salt Lake City, UT
Level Contributor
908 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Is there anything to see/do with the Great Salt Lake?

The lake is spectacular as scenery but for recreation it's not so great, due to the very high salt content and the generally swampy, amorphous shoreline. It is possible to swim in it, but few people do it. Unless you have access to a boat, perhaps the best way to see it is to visit Antelope Island State Park, which is spectacular and has great hiking options. And a beach of sorts too.

Mentioned in this post
Antelope Island State Park
Antelope Island State...
936 Reviews
Syracuse, UT
Park City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Utah, Winter Sports
Level Contributor
19,949 posts
443 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Is there anything to see/do with the Great Salt Lake?

Antelope Island is a fantastic experience and highly recommended. It's very easily accessed from the causeway north of Salt Lake City.

Have fun.

Mentioned in this post
Roosevelt, Utah
Destination Expert
for Utah
Level Contributor
1,186 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Is there anything to see/do with the Great Salt Lake?

Some are bothered by the smell of the brine shrimp and the shore is sometimes hard to navigate, but there are beaches out there!

The wildlife viewing, especially migratory bird watching near Farmington Bay, is really fun. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Great_Salt_Lake

I love Antelope Island, and my daughters enjoyed swimming in the "salty water"! Plus, the bison herd on the island is spectacular!!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Antelope_Island

…wikipedia.org/wiki/Antelope_Island_Bison_He…

*Pixie*

Edited: 22 June 2012, 00:14
Salt Lake City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Utah
Level Contributor
16,298 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Is there anything to see/do with the Great Salt Lake?

<<Seems very odd to me that a lake so large and well-known gets no mention of sightseeing, adventure, or even oddities.>>

It gets mentioned often, when people are in SLC or driving from there to somewhere north. At least on this board.

I enjoy sunsets out there, the water is so smooth.

And if you have time the Spiral Jetty is the epitome of Landscape Art. I had to see the movie at the Tate Museum in London before making the effort to go up and see it. Loved it. www.spiraljetty.org

Mentioned in this post
Salt Lake City Intl Airport
Salt Lake City Intl...
Salt Lake City, UT
Chattanooga, TN
Level Contributor
409 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Is there anything to see/do with the Great Salt Lake?

Thanks for the replies. Antelope Island is exactly the type of natural adventure I am seeking to explore. It looks amazing.

6. Re: Is there anything to see/do with the Great Salt Lake?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 June 2013, 05:16