We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Mid January skiing; Park City, Steamboat, Aspen or Telluride

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
2 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Mid January skiing; Park City, Steamboat, Aspen or Telluride

We're a family of 4 that will be skiing in Nth America in mid Jan. I ski mostly everything, my teenage daughters happy chasing me down the mountain and my wife likes green/blue runs with minimal traffic, for about 3-4 hours a day. Cannot decide between Park City, Steamboat, Aspen or Telluride! Sounds shockingly fussy but we kind of want the beauty of the box canyon and cool cowboy town of Telluride; the convenience of flying direct into Park City or Aspen; and the famed snow of Steamboat!! Thoughts, suggestions would be welcome!

Mentioned in this post
Park City
Park City
Wasatch Range, UT
Aspen
Aspen
Colorado
Telluride
Telluride
Colorado
Park City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Utah, Winter Sports
Level Contributor
19,829 posts
428 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Mid January skiing; Park City, Steamboat, Aspen or Telluride

Snow wise, all four are comparable. Any differential is more marketing than reality. All four area actual real towns (as opposed to Vail, for example), with a background in mining or ranching. For sure, Park City wins on accessibility over all others - 30 minutes from major international airport with freeway from airport to resort. However, all four are reachable by air with airports within minutes. All four have comparable runs. Aspen and Park City also offer nearby resorts while Steamboat and Telluride do not.

In terms of the towns themselves, Park City big winner in terms of things to do - far more infrastructure than any of the others, based around an historic Main Street downtown district. Aspen is second in that area with a fantastic downtown area that abuts Aspen Mountain. Telluride's box canyon location is outstanding, but less infrastructure than PC or Aspen. Steamboat is, indeed, a great cowboy town but it's also less quaint than the others, plus located a few miles from the resort. If you are there in mid-January, you might catch the famous Cowboy Downhill.

I'm biased, but overall I don't see that you could beat the convenience, feel, accessibility of Park City, staying somewhere in the downtown district and skiing three resorts within a few minutes.

Have fun.

Mentioned in this post
Park City
Park City
Wasatch Range, UT
Salt Lake City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Utah
Level Contributor
4,946 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Mid January skiing; Park City, Steamboat, Aspen or Telluride

In terms of scenic beauty it's tough to beat Telluride. The mountains are gorgeous and seem to be on top of you while in town. Telluride is smaller and tougher to get to though. Park City will likely have the most frequent and cheapest flights from California, where I assume you will be coming from, and there are three ski resorts within seven miles. Lots of things to do after skiing as well.

I noticed you mentioned January, which is when the Sundance Film Festival takes place. The slopes are empty because the town is full of movie industry tourists and not skiers. It's easy to brush shoulders with celebrities walking around because the town is so small. That might be exciting for your daughters. Would be great to catch a couple of films and live music from headline acts in the evenings. There will be more crowds at restaurants and accommodations may be a little more pricey though.

And if you do come to Park City and depending on the amount of time for your holiday, you could ways spend a day visiting Alta or Snowbird. This would give you the experience of the towering mountains like the box canyon and consistently some of the best snow quality and totals anywhere.

Edited: 28 October 2013, 17:09
Mentioned in this post
Telluride
Telluride
Colorado
Park City
Park City
Wasatch Range, UT
California
California
United States
jjo
Chicago
Level Contributor
499 posts
184 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Mid January skiing; Park City, Steamboat, Aspen or Telluride

I think you have to choose between scenery and convenience. Park City is unbelievably easy to get to. 45 minutes from the airport, on a well maintained interstate, to 3 world class resorts. However, I've never found Park City amazingly scenic, whereas Telluride will take your breadth away just walking down main street.

Mentioned in this post
Park City
Park City
Wasatch Range, UT
Telluride
Telluride
Colorado
Salt Lake City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Utah
Level Contributor
4,946 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Mid January skiing; Park City, Steamboat, Aspen or Telluride

Also of note, Deer Valley and Alta do not allow snowboarders. Deer Valley is known for their service, lodging and restaurants as well as immaculately groomed trails. They also limit the number of tickets they sell in a day, so that the slopes aren't crowded or have long lift lines.

Baltimore, Maryland
Destination Expert
for North Conway
Level Contributor
12,244 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Mid January skiing; Park City, Steamboat, Aspen or Telluride

No one can say who will have the best skiing. Heck, when I go the first week in feb, it can be very different from Powder Mountain to Snowbasin to PC and all are within 90 minutes from end to end.

Which place should you choose? It doesn't matter!! Sure, they are each different but all are great.

Park City, Utah
Level Contributor
90 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Mid January skiing; Park City, Steamboat, Aspen or Telluride

With 10 ski areas within 1.5 hour drive from Park City, your chances to ski good snow are best in Utah. While weather can't be guaranteed, Sundance to Powder Mountain and everything in between is pretty big area to statistically hope for a storm. Like mentioned above, if you are here the third and fourth weeks of January you'll see Sundance. The rooms will be tough to come by and restaurant reservations difficult, but the slopes are incredibly empty.

Of course if you go to aspen towards the end of the month, you'll have the X Games to contend with.

Mentioned in this post
Park City
Park City
Wasatch Range, UT
Utah
Utah
United States
Powder Mountain
Powder Mountain
201 Reviews
Eden, UT
7. Re: Mid January skiing; Park City, Steamboat, Aspen or Telluride

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 November 2014, 05:17