We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Park City First Timer Advice

Which Park City hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Wilmington, North...
Level Contributor
8 posts
14 reviews
Save Topic
Park City First Timer Advice

I'm planning a trip to Park City with a few friends in late March, we'll ski three of four days between 3/16 and 3/19 (Sun-Wed). The trip will be three 27 year old guys on a budget. The plan is to stay at the Chateau Apres due to it's location and price. We'll end up renting equipment while we're there. We'll take a shuttle to and from the airport, so no car while we're there.

Of the mountains in the area which ones will have:

- the best snow at that time?

- the shortest lift lines?

- the best intermediate terrain?

- lowest prices?

We'll probably pack lunches each day in a book bag and take our own to the mountain. Is this allowed on all of the resorts?

If we decide to ski on multiple mountains will transporting skis on the shuttle be a big hassle?

Any nightlife or other general recommendations would be appreciated as well.

Thanks for the help!

Salt Lake City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Utah
Level Contributor
3,847 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Park City First Timer Advice

Greetings and welcome to the Wasatch.

There are three ski areas within seven miles. Taking the shuttle will be easy to access any of them. You'll be staying less than a quarter of a mile from Park City Mountain Resort, so that would be close. Since you'll be going midweek, you shouldn't have to worry too much about crowds. Deer Valley limits their ticket sales as well. I would try to visit all of the resorts since they are so close together. All will have good intermediate terrain and a different feel. Why not experience all of them when you are on the doorstep? When will you be out this way again? Keep in mind Deer Valley does not allow snowboarders, so if there is one in your group, it will change things. March should be a good month for powder too. There is already a full base, so any accumulation is just for playing.

Here is a rental shop that offers discount lift tickets.

https://www.skinsee.com/discount-lift-tickets

The other thing you could try is KSL.com classifieds. I have bought a few passes and never been burned. Sometimes people will get injured or they can't use their day passes for some other reason. Near the end of the season you might be able to find some great deals. If the seller has to drive to you, they may charge a little more money though.

For nightlife head to Main Street. It won't be busy like a weekend, but there are plenty of bars to choose from. Definitely check out High West Distillery, Utah's one and only. Wasatch and Squatter's are a couple of local breweries to try. A few bars on Main are Cicero's, No Name Saloon, Flanagan's, The Spur and there are others. All of the resorts will have Apres Ski too. If you were around a day earlier, The Canyons has free concerts every Saturday in March. This is last year's line up. They also have the annual pond skimming contest.

canyonsresort.com/blog/…

Check skiutah.com for current snow totals, as well as 24 and 48-hour accumulations.

Brighton, Michigan
Level Contributor
278 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Park City First Timer Advice

Transporting skis should not be a problem. Last time I was there they have racks outside the buses to load your skis. I have also seen people carry them on the bus.

Costco SLC has discounted tickets for PCMR. They can mail them to you in advance or you can stop in and pick them up.

DV and PCMR have some of the best intermediate terrain, but Alta is also very good and prices tend to be lower there.

Park City, Utah
Level Contributor
90 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Park City First Timer Advice

If you are staying at the Chateau Apres, it would be difficult to not ski PCMR. The base is a 1 minute walk from your accommodations. Since you're skiing only 3 days, interested in primarily intermediate terrain, and don't have a car to travel to Big Cottonwood Canyon, PCMR should fit the bill.

If you ski there the first day and want to try someplace else, the bus system can take you to either The Canyons or Deer Valley. Do keep in mind Deer Valley is skiing only (and not cheap).

Park City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Utah, Winter Sports
Level Contributor
16,893 posts
388 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Park City First Timer Advice

You should do the math on rental car versus shuttle. I would be surprised if shuttle were cheaper given you're only there for a few days. As noted, you're staying super close to PCMR so I would make that your primary resort. Source lift tickets at Liftopia.com. You can probably also get a rental deal there, too. Given that you're midweek, I wouldn't worry at all about lift lines.

Have fun.

5. Re: Park City First Timer Advice

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 December 2014, 05:16