We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Snowbird/Park City in Summer

MIssouri
Level Contributor
96 posts
13 reviews
Save Topic
Snowbird/Park City in Summer

On a whim I started looking into UT for a late June 2014 vacation. Family of 4 (son 9 and daughter 12). Have no interest really in skiing but like the looks of other outdoor activities (alpine slide, etc.) Son thinks he’s going to be a bobsledder when he grows up (LOL), so I thought this area might be interesting to explore (given its summer).

How busy is this area in June? Is there really an “off season”? What’s the weather like? Is a car necessary?

Recommendations on where to stay would be appreciated. Cleanliness, view and POOL are most important! A small waterpark type pool area would be nice. I’m not cooking so nearby kid friendly dining options would be nice.

I’m having a really hard time determining what’s available in the summer. Most of the websites I visit focus on their winter activities and I don’t want to be caught being “bored” on vacation.

Thanks!

Park City, Utah
Level Contributor
150 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Snowbird/Park City in Summer

So your son the bobsledder will want to check out Olympic Park, with that in mind and your desire for pool would suggest one of the Canyons resorts (e.g., Sundial, Grand Summit, Waldorf, Westgate) or the Bear Hollow.

Note that there are all kinds of things to do in summer, Olympic Park for example has far more than Bobsleeding, buy a pass for the day and do the many rope courses, zip lines, alpine slide, etc. etc. Beyond Olympic Park enjoy mountain biking, hiking, rafting, hot air balloning, golf, shopping, spa, etc. etc.

My personal recommendation would be to get a car, Olympic Park is not on the bus route (should be, but is not).

Salt Lake City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Utah
Level Contributor
4,618 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Snowbird/Park City in Summer

Greetings and welcome out west.

I might look into Marriott Mountain Side, which is at the base of Park City Mountain Resort. There are a couple of restaurants within walking distance and all of the activities like the zip lines, alpine coaster and slide, etc.

Late June will have very pleasant temps to bordering on the hot side. Crowds shouldn't be an issue, especially during midweek.

There is the Utah Olympic Park, which has zip lines, a ropes course, museum, and of course the bobsled run. There is an age requirement though. You could also watch Olympic athletes training in aerials and skiing jumping, which is quite amazing.

The canyons resort has zip lines, a gondola ride to Ride Pine, mountain biking, a small fishing pond and paddle boats.

If you like outdoor activities you shouldn't be bored. There are tons of options from going into Big Cottonwood Canyon and take a short hike to Donut Falls or Twin Lakes, driving an hour or so to the Great Salt Lake and Antelope Island where there are herds of buffalo and antelope, going river rafting down the Provo or Weber River, renting wave runners or stand up paddle boards to play at Jordanelle or Deer Creek.

There is a Ghost Tour that goes through town and covers some of the mining history. Jupiter Bowl would be a fun stop. And there is always historic Main Street to wander and check out. The lower part of Main has a Sunday market with live music, food and drink.

Salt Lake is nearby as well. Plenty of great museums the kids would love and there are a couple of water parks and the amusement park Lagoon. With kids and to allow more options for day excursions, I would rent a car. If you plan on just staying in Park City proper, there is a free bus service that goes around town.

MIssouri
Level Contributor
96 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Snowbird/Park City in Summer

This is great information that i have begun looking into. The pools all seem to be of your standard fare ... they don't appear overly large ... would love one with a simple slide. My kids are fish and love a pool! Any insight on accomodations with perhaps "more" pool options.

Im a midwesterner so forgive my stupid question, but im seeing lots of things concerning elevation. While we are not expecting to be mountain top, is that a concern?? My son has mild asthma and not sure if that would be an issue.

Salt Lake City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Utah
Level Contributor
4,618 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Snowbird/Park City in Summer

Not sure about a pool with a slide. There is a pool with a slide at the MARC.

As far as elevation, it's always a good idea to consult a doctor. What I've read, below 8,000 feet is usually safe for overnight trips. You could always stay a night in salt lake to help acclimate. Unless you are staying at somewhere like the Montage, you'll be below 8,000. If he has an inhaler, that would obviously help too.

MIssouri
Level Contributor
96 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Snowbird/Park City in Summer

Forgive me shake801, but what is MARC?

Thanks for the info on elevation, will call his Dr. to be safe.

Thank you all for the great info.

6. Re: Snowbird/Park City in Summer

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 04 February 2015, 05:20