We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Avalanche Risk?

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
28 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Avalanche Risk?

I've been reading about a high number of avalanches in Utah this year, including a couple in the resorts around Park City (though I believe no one was hurt). My husband and I plan to ski at Deer Valley in early March, traveling from NYC, and we'll stay on-piste. I'm not typically paranoid or fearful, but would appreciate thoughts on avalanche risk, both at the resort and during the drive between SLC and DV. Also, any tips on reacting to an avalanche -- head to the trees, if there are any close to the run? That might be a ridiculous question; I've only skied a few times. Thank you!

Salt Lake City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Utah
Level Contributor
4,435 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Avalanche Risk?

I wouldn't worry about avalanches at Deer Valley. All of the resorts perform avalanche controls before opening steeper slopes to the public. In-bounds slides are extremely rare. I've never heard of any at DV, where the terrain isn't as steep as other resorts in the area. And many of the slide will be people hiking from the resorts to out of bounds areas connected to the resorts. If you're not planning on doing this, you'll be fine. If you're on blue or green trails, you'll be fine.

Parleys Canyon, from SLC to PC, will be easy sailing too. The mountains heading up to Park City are smaller, not as steep, lower in elevation, and further removed from the road than the mountains going up Big and Little Cottonwood Canyons to Alta, Snowbird, etc, where they will often get closed for avalanche control. There aren't any steep chutes leading to the interstate. You'll have zero problems with avalanches in Parleys Canyon.

Most slides occur in the backcountry with snowmobiles that can access extreme terrain, slopes with more than a 30% pitch. Some with skiers, boarders or snowshoers. But really, I would not worry about avalanches at Deer Valley. March should be a great time with plenty of snow and blue sunny skies. Have fun.

Baltimore, Maryland
Destination Expert
for North Conway
Level Contributor
12,124 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Avalanche Risk?

If you use common sense and follow the signs you have a remote risk. These resorts do a great job in bounds.

Park City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Utah, Winter Sports
Level Contributor
18,464 posts
421 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Avalanche Risk?

There isn't anywhere on the drive from SLC to Park City that an avalanche could be a factor. Zero possibility. At Deer Valley, there also isn't realistically anywhere you will have an issue or need to think about it.

The recent avalanche incidents occurred in remote backcountry areas that are not controlled. This is not an issue for which you need to have concern provided that you are staying in bounds.

Have fun.

Little Rock
Level Contributor
2,759 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Avalanche Risk?

Getting caught an avalanche at DV or while driving from SLC to PC is only a little bit more likely than winning the lottery with a Utah Powerball ticket !! :)

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
28 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Avalanche Risk?

Thanks, everyone!

6. Re: Avalanche Risk?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 February 2015, 07:20