We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Park City or Whistler?

Which Park City hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Phoenix, AZ
Level Contributor
6 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Park City or Whistler?

I'm trying to decide where to go for New Years this year. We did Whistler last year and it was incredible! I want to do that again, but feel like trying something new. I've heard many good things about Park City, everyone going snowboards and it will be two couples and a couple friends.

We love the whistler village, but its very expensive. I've looked around and appears park city is almost the same cost?

Has anyone been to both Whistler and Park City? Where would you rather go for New Years with friends?

Los Angeles
Level Contributor
88 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Park City or Whistler?

Park City can be a pretty happening place on New Years Eve. I've been to Whistler, but not during New Years, so i cannot comment on that

Phoenix, AZ
Level Contributor
6 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Park City or Whistler?

Is there much to do in park city? We loved all the cool resturants, bars and culture in whistler. I'm not tyrying to ask if Park City is a Whistler, but does it compete with it in any way besides the great mountains?

Park City, UT
Level Contributor
355 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Park City or Whistler?

You would really have different experiences at these two places. Whistler/Blackcomb has a well laid-out base village (and almost includes Whistler) and two convenient mountains. Park City has three ski areas in town (you can't board at DV) and three or four or five (depending on which you count) other areas within an hour. Main Street in Park City has the busiest night life with dozens of restaurants and bars, and many more at the ski areas.

I would say Whistler has a better resort town, and Utah has better snow. On the other hand, Whistler has dependable conditions and Park City has plenty of restaurants/bars/shops.

Washington, DC
Level Contributor
85 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Park City or Whistler?

Hi Al Park City

I need help finding a cozy condo rental that sleeps 2 that is centrally located and preferably within walking distance to many restaurants, bars and shops. Can you recommend a place? I prefer a condo, but a hotel or B&B is also fine.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Park City, UT
Level Contributor
355 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Park City or Whistler?

Side message to sun2snow:

(You might get better information by starting a separate thread.)

I can only give basic comments about renting in Park City since I just live here. You can contact the Chamber/Visitors' Bureau at parkcityinfo.com for lots of information.

To be close to bars & restaurants (walking distance?) you would prefer the Old Town area around Main Street. The Marriott time-shares are in a good location and seem popular. There is one lift to get from Main Street to Park City Mtn. At the resort base there are condos at the plaza or the other Marriott time-shares. (There's also a Marriott Hotel a couple of miles away.) For B&B, the Washington School Inn is a place I would recommend.

The free bus system allows you to consider going a bit farther than walking distance. Deer Valley or The Canyons are the obvious skiing alternatives.

What are your preferences?

salt lake city
Destination Expert
for Salt Lake City
Level Contributor
1,280 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Park City or Whistler?

I would go Whistler unless we have great December snows. Usually we don't. Global warming and all....Al makes some good points though. It's a toss up really.

Level Contributor
260 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Park City or Whistler?

Hmmm....I've been to both places in early December.

Whistler at the time was a fantastic deal because of

the Canadian dollar....but it's not as good now.

We had zero snow at Whistler---I do think the situation

can be iffier there. Park City's downtown cannot be

beat--I love the old west towns. We will be in Park City

again this December, but I've been disappointed at

the accomodations I'm finding. I do think Whistler

takes the prize in that category. Take a look at First Tracks

and Legends in Whistler--gorgeous condos without

breaking the bank.

Level Contributor
260 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Park City or Whistler?

We loved Telluride in December too....you get

the combo of an old west town and ski resort at

Mountain Village. Best of both worlds.

Park City, Utah
Level Contributor
21 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Park City or Whistler?

Suntosnow -

Where you stay depends upon what you want to spend!

The closer you are to downtown, the closer you are to ski in or out, the closer you are to a resort, and which resort....

I know of great places - here is an example of pricing:

A) one bedrm condo near the Canyons, walk to lift, reg season at $190 per night, sleeps 4. Heated pool on premises. 650 sq ft

B) 2 bedrm new condo, on the Jordanelle, across from DV, not ski in or out, car needed, $255 per nt reg season, sleeps 7. 950 sq ft. hot tub, gym, game room.

C) older condo, 2 bedrm off Main St, reg season $325 per nt. sleeps 7. 800 sq ft. Walk to PCMtn. Hot tub.

Note: these are per condo, not per person charges. Do ask this where ever you go!

(This is from a site advertising the condos for rent. - you can link to it from the Park City Chamber page. I can get the name of the page if you need it.)

Now, if you really have money to spend, look to Deer Valley, ski in out condos. ...

Skier in VA
5 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Park City or Whistler?

I've been to Whistler and Park City many times, though none of my visits were on New Year's Eve. In each locale I typically stay in high-end condos or luxury hotels. With that said, I would opt to go to Whistler at almost any time and any circumstance without exception.

I find Whistler to have a larger variety and quantity of activites and amenities for both skiers/boarders and non-skiers who are visiting the resort in all price ranges. In my opinion Whistler/Blackcomb also offers the more challenging and varied ski terrain and there is rarely a feeling of being crowded either on the slopes are off. I would also give Whistler the nod for having drawing a more international crowd which is also reflected in the choices of restaurants, bars, accomodations, services and resort personnel.

Whistler for me!!!!