We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

December Skiiing (Week 2) - Snow Conditions

Rochester Hills...
Level Contributor
141 posts
38 reviews
Save Topic
December Skiiing (Week 2) - Snow Conditions

I have time off in the second week in December, and am thinking of some early Utah skiing which I have never done before (usually in Feb or March).

What are snow conditions and weather usually like? Is it too much of a risk to go ahead and book a flight and hotel for 3-4 days?

Any feedback or suggestions ?

Mentioned in this post
Utah
Utah
United States
salt lake city
Destination Expert
for Salt Lake City
Level Contributor
1,288 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: December Skiiing (Week 2) - Snow Conditions

It would be too risky in my mind. Snow depths are usually not very deep but the resorts all make snow on most of their lower lifts. IF you are a beginner or intermediate skiier that might be fine for you. Since that is not a busy time of year here- you probably would not have trouble finding a room or flight if you wait until Thanksgiving to see what the weather is doing here. That would still give you a few weeks to get decent flight prices. Most hotels will let you cancel in a certain amount of time without penalties. You could always secure the room. Southwest has one way cheap fares from Detroit. Check out what dates they are already filling up and you will know if you can put it off or not and when to firm something up.

Rochester Hills...
Level Contributor
141 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: December Skiiing (Week 2) - Snow Conditions

Thank you Saphirebluez.

Park City, UT
Level Contributor
355 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: December Skiiing (Week 2) - Snow Conditions

I agree that December skiing is risky anywhere. The areas that open early depend on snow making and really just have some cruising runs open. Speaking of cruising, how about just going on a cruise (:-)

If there are great early conditions, Thanksgiving will be early enough to book your trip.

WV
2 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: December Skiiing (Week 2) - Snow Conditions

wonderfing about the skiing conditions for 12/26/06 through to New Year's? This is our only time to visit this year. But our group of 7 has advanced skiers. How was the skiing in 2005 for this time period?

Washington, DC
Level Contributor
264 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: December Skiiing (Week 2) - Snow Conditions

abroad:

This webpage will show that Alta averages quite a bit of snow by the end of December (more than 200 inches), and last year it received about 4 feet during the week in question: http://www.alta.com/pages/snowhistory.php

Have fun.

Mentioned in this post
Alta
Alta
Wasatch Range, UT
Level Contributor
260 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: December Skiiing (Week 2) - Snow Conditions

I agree, December can be risky....but we love taking the chance becuase of the lower rates and crowds and the whole Holiday

scene makes it worthwhile. I've had great luck with

Park City (couldn't see my hand in front of my face, it was

snowing so hard), Steamboat and Sun Valley.

In Aspen and Whistler we huge snowfalls by one day.

Level Contributor
260 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: December Skiiing (Week 2) - Snow Conditions

ooops I meant we missed big snow by one day.

Los Angeles
Level Contributor
88 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: December Skiiing (Week 2) - Snow Conditions

Park City Mt and the Canyons will be open by then for sure. So there will be snow, and you will be able to ride. How good it is is up to you. I come from dry California, so anything up there is good, however I usually prefer Jan and Feb for ideal snow conditions. I've been going to Park City for the past 5 years, 4-5 times a year (mostly winter), and I would say those are the best months

Atlantic Beach...
Level Contributor
105 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: December Skiiing (Week 2) - Snow Conditions

Alta and Snowbird usually have the best snow at that time of year.

Mentioned in this post
Alta
Alta
Wasatch Range, UT
Snowbird
Snowbird
Wasatch Range, UT
salt lake city
Destination Expert
for Salt Lake City
Level Contributor
1,288 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: December Skiiing (Week 2) - Snow Conditions

Abroad:

You have the best chance of the greatest snow depths at Snowbird or Alta as the mountains are higher and first in line for weather coming from the south and west. If you have advanced skiers in your party than you will love Snowbird as it is known for steep and deep. Skied many years there and love the winter conditions for the most part on the upper parts of the mountain.

Mentioned in this post
Snowbird
Snowbird
Wasatch Range, UT
Alta
Alta
Wasatch Range, UT