We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Good hotel for summer activities/public transportation?

Casey
Level Contributor
49 posts
13 reviews
Save Topic
Good hotel for summer activities/public transportation?

Just beginning to think about Park City for summer 2015. Since we will be doing summer activities and won't be out on the slopes, where is a good hotel to stay in? I love the lodge-looking ones, but don't want to pick one way out in the mountains if that makes the public transportation inconvenient or inaccessible. I love finding vacations where we don't have to drive. I've looked at the list of hotels, but unsure of the lay of the land.

Also looked at vrbo- is there a particular area that would be best for our purposes?

New York
Level Contributor
68 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Good hotel for summer activities/public transportation?

So hotbeds for activities in PC during the summer include Main Street (e.g., restaurants, shopping, Silly Market), Canyons (e.g., restaurants, golf, hiking, biking, gondola rides, paddle boats, farmers market, zip lines, etc.), Olympic Park (zip lines, rope courses, museum, alpine slide), Park City Mountain Resort (zip lines, alpine slide, alpine coaster, hiking, biking) and Deer Valley (hiking, biking, restaurants). All have lodging and are convenient in terms of free transportation to/from the others except for Olympic Park.

Note that most of the hotels in the area are actually condo hotels where individual units are owned by individuals, so you can determine the hotel you like, then go to VRBO to rent at the same property owner direct for less.

Salt Lake City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Utah
Level Contributor
4,656 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Good hotel for summer activities/public transportation?

If you're not renting a car, I would suggest staying on or within walking distance of Main Street. Caledonian, Sky Lodge, or Marriott Summit Watch are good options. Canyons is about 5 miles outside of town, which makes it a pain for back and forth if you don't have your own vehicle. It would be easier to do a day trip there and access the Gondola, biking, zip lines, etc. Same with Deer Valley. You might also want to rent a car for a day or two for a drive to Mirror Lake in the Uintas, or heading over Guardsman Pass into Big Cottonwood Canyon for a day hike or walk around the boardwalk at Silver Lake. Also, note that the transit system doesn't go to the Utah Olympic Park. Might have to taxi there if it's on the agenda.

Casey
Level Contributor
49 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Good hotel for summer activities/public transportation?

Thanks. I have found a condo on Main Street that I like on vrbo. Undecided whether we will rent a car- we do like vacations that don't involve driving since my husband drives all day for a living. Good to know that the busses don't go to the Olympic site. I do want to go there.

Park City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Utah, Winter Sports
Level Contributor
18,884 posts
426 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Good hotel for summer activities/public transportation?

Main Street is definitely a place to be. You would be kinda at a disadvantage in seeing the area in summertime without a car. But you could also just rent one in PC for a few days to explore.

Have fun.

Casey
Level Contributor
49 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Good hotel for summer activities/public transportation?

I like the idea of renting within Park City, rather than in SLC. We also don't care for city driving! PC seems like a manageable place to navigate.

6. Re: Good hotel for summer activities/public transportation?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 30 June 2015, 05:17