We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Detour Backcountry guided hikes

Costa Mesa...
Level Contributor
580 posts
77 reviews
Save Topic
Detour Backcountry guided hikes

I've been asked not to go hiking alone, so I've been searching for a group or guide. I contacted the forest service, and they indicated there aren't ranger-led hikes in Salt Lake City and surrounding area.

I found detour backcountry, and it seems like a good fit. I've searched tripadvisor, but don't find them here at all. So I thought it would be worth asking if they have a reputation (good or bad).

Thanks much!

Salt Lake City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Utah
Level Contributor
4,435 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Detour Backcountry guided hikes

It is basically Backcountry.com, so a very legit operation. I think it's a relatively new offered service and I haven't talked with anyone that has actually used it. Prices seem pretty steep for a half day hiking trip not including transportation.

Park City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Utah, Winter Sports
Level Contributor
18,433 posts
421 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Detour Backcountry guided hikes

Yes, it's a new service from backcountry.com connecting independent guides with those needing a guide. I would say you could trust the service itself, but ultimately it depends on the quality of the independent guide you select. Didn't look like a lot of hiking guides and the one I did see was asking $179 for a half day, which is pretty steep, I think.

For the Park City area, also contact All Seasons Adventures. I don't know if they provide hiking guides as I doubt there's a lot of demand, but I'm sure they could arrange from their pool of contacts.

Good luck.

Costa Mesa...
Level Contributor
580 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Detour Backcountry guided hikes

Thank you!

Roosevelt, Utah
Destination Expert
for Utah
Level Contributor
1,149 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Detour Backcountry guided hikes

There are numerous hiking groups along the Wasatch Front. Try using www.meetup.com to find them.

*Pixie*

5. Re: Detour Backcountry guided hikes

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 04 July 2015, 05:17