We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Spirit Lake Question

Salt Lake City, Utah
Level Contributor
257 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Spirit Lake Question

I know Spirit Lake isn't in Roosevelt but seeing as how it's pretty close and PixieC is so knowledgable I figured this would be a good forum to post my question to.

We're going to be at Spirit Lake this July for a weekend, coming from Salt Lake City. Would it be better (prettier, etc.) to drive up through Evanston or down through Vernal? Once we get close, is it the same dirt road that you take up to the lodge whether you come from Mountain View or Vernal?

Thanks in advance!!!

Monica

Roosevelt, Utah
Destination Expert
for Utah
Level Contributor
1,149 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Spirit Lake Question

You can get there either way and both are scenic. I hate freeways myself but I also hate trying to pass RV's with boats or crude oil trucks & trailers, and you'll find those a'plenty on Highway 40.

I think maybe you should head up one way and back home the other! Besides, the magnificent switchbacks on the Vernal side is something everyone should experience at least once in their life. :o)

It is NOT the same road from Evanston or from Vernal...most of the way (they join up on the mountainside about 10 miles before the lake).

From Vernal you need drive north on 191 to Flaming Gorge. When you get to the intersection where 44 meets up with with 191 you'll need to take 44 heading west and don't turn towards Flaming Gorge (it will actually seem like you're staying on the same road rather than turning, so don't let that confuse you!) You'll then turn left (south) at the sign for Sheep Creek Geological Loop (about another 15 miles on 44).

From this road you'll drive another 5 miles, then take the dirt road to the left (south) that signals Browne Lake and Spirit Lake. You'll then take an almost immediate right turn towards Spirit Lake (left would take you to Browne Lake...another fabulous fishing lake and one of my favorites weekend haunts).

The "loop" is paved...sorta (we call it "mountain paving" which is just slightly better than dirt!) but the other roads are not.

The directions from Evanston/I-80 are more complicated and I've never been that way myself, so these are from their website:

"Head eastbound on I-80. Take the Mountain View Exit, #33, heading south. Follow the main road through Mountain View. When the main road in Mountain View forks, go to the left towards Lonetree (S.R. 414). Soon after passing through Burntfork, you will reach a turnoff with a large sign saying "19 Miles to Spirit Lake". (Shown at right) Turn right, and follow the unpaved road. It will take you back into Utah, and later into Ashley National Forest. After you have driven 12 of the 19 miles, there will be a sign pointing to the right to Spirit Lake. Turn right, and follow that road 7 miles directly to the Spirit Lake Lodge."

Funny, their website says its one hour from Vernal, but I'm pretty sure it takes longer than that. Maybe I stop and smell the wilflowers too much? LOL

Keep your eyes open to wildlife while you're driving, I always see elk and deer and sometimes moose on the mountain.

*Pixie*

2. Re: Spirit Lake Question

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 26 November 2009, 05:21
Get answers to your questions about Roosevelt