We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Short Visit Advice

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
1,310 posts
118 reviews
Save Topic
Short Visit Advice

Hello All

We'll be in St George for one evening (Sunday) and will have to be in Vegas by 3 pm Monday for our flight. We intend to visit Zion Park Monday am. Any advice on what areas to hit directly, so we don't waste time? I figure we'll have about 4 hours to explore, once we are in the park.

Thanks for assistance.

Encinitas...
Destination Expert
for Zion National Park, Joshua Tree National Park
Level Contributor
17,512 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Short Visit Advice

Zion to Vegas is a little less than 3 hours, but you will gain an hour entering Nevada. With such short time,I would drive up thru the tunnel,and hike the short canyon overlook trail,just as you exit the tunnel.Great view of the park.Then maybe head back down to canyon junction, park the car and hop the shuttle into the canyon.I would do this rather than park at the visitor center because the shuttle has to stop at the history museum,then drive up to canyon junction.Will save you a few minutes,but you are short on time.Then maybe get out at Zion lodge, cross the road and look at the river, and hike to lower Emerald pools.Too bad you don't have more time.It is a great park.

Salt Lake City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Utah
Level Contributor
15,872 posts
147 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Short Visit Advice

Don't know if you know but during the busy season you cannot drive into the main canyon. You must take a shuttle. It is a good thing really, but requires a little advance planning. You pick it up at the visitors center. It makes stops at all the important places and I believe it is never more than 15 min between shuttles. If you stay on the shuttle and never get off it is a 90 min round trip.

I personally would park at the Visitors Center and take the shuttle all the way to the end and walk the 1mile Riverside walk. It is basically level so not hard and it will give you a good feel for the canyon. Weeping rock is fun, not too long of a stop.

Then if you have time the drive through the tunnels and the Canyon Overlook is nice and would take maybe 1 hr, maybe less if you hike fast.

3. Re: Short Visit Advice

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11 October 2009, 03:18