We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Chrismas week in Southwest Utah

Michigan
Level Contributor
136 posts
55 reviews
Save Topic
Chrismas week in Southwest Utah

Im really wanting to road trip thru Zion-Bryce ect but cant get time off until Christmas break. Can someone let me know the conditions, temps, snow, rain that is usually dealt with in the area? How about the lanscape is everything dead looking in winter like it is in Michigan? I dont mind some 30 degree temps..but yeah sub freezing and snow wouldnt be good..Thanks

Moab, Utah
Destination Expert
for Moab
Level Contributor
3,354 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Chrismas week in Southwest Utah

You could get unlucky or you could have a ball; do you have someone to enjoy the indoors with as a backup plan.

We love south west Utah in winter (or any other time). Our Zion Christmas trip was great; lot's of snow. Yeah, stuff looked dead, the wildlife was limited but we were enchanted. Frozen waterfalls, icicles, red rock and snow contrasts. There are trade-offs.

Michigan
Level Contributor
136 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Chrismas week in Southwest Utah

Unfortunately I will be traveling solo unless I meet someone wonderful soon. I can imagine the snowy canyons are very beautiful. Are there any concerns normally with snowy-icey roads? The cliffs out that way are pretty imposing! lol..Thanks

Moab, Utah
Destination Expert
for Moab
Level Contributor
3,354 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Chrismas week in Southwest Utah

The road crews do an amazing job keeping the way clear (weather permitting). As some one who grew up never seeing snow, and never drove on snow until I was 40, surprisingly it wasn't a big deal. Even driving on the ice up the switchbacks heading east out of Zion before dawn wasn't that scary IMO. Just took it easy.

http://outtrim.id.au/USA2009/?p=246

Encinitas...
Destination Expert
for Zion National Park, Joshua Tree National Park
Level Contributor
17,518 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Chrismas week in Southwest Utah

I have spent several New Years up at Zion (6-7?) and never did see any snow falling.There was snow and ice on the ground on top of the cliffs.Nights were typically near freezing, but daytime temps were in the 50's and I typically hiked in shorts and t-shirts.(Definitely carry extra pants,jackets etc, for when it cools).The average temp at Zion in Dec is 53.

Most trails are open,the one most likely to close is Riverside walk as ice tends to fall on that trail.Bring traction devices like Yak Trax or Stabilicers for your shoes.Like N_D said ,you may be unlucky or have a ball.

Bryce is spectacular with snow.Its cooler up there due to elevation.Daytime temps average 42,but at night averages in the teens.

Las Vegas, Nevada
Destination Expert
for Anaheim, St. George
Level Contributor
27,944 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Chrismas week in Southwest Utah

since you posted this in the st george forum, i can give you some idea of weather there, in case you are going to be in that area as well, very unusual to have snow right in st george, some on the higher elevations north of town.

usually in the 50 degree range during the day.

Michigan
Level Contributor
136 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Chrismas week in Southwest Utah

Thanks very much..I think Im going to go ahead and book a trip during the holidays..Florida sounds boring!

7. Re: Chrismas week in Southwest Utah

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 01 February 2011, 07:21