We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where to stay in St George

Scotland
Level Contributor
33 posts
137 reviews
Save Topic
Where to stay in St George

My husband and I are traveling from Scotland in September this year, flying to Las Vegas and our first stop after a couple of days there will be St. George for 3 or 4 days before driving to New Mexico with some other stops in between. My mobility is not great and I cannot walk too far without a rest so I wondered which hotel would be best for me to stay in so we are near restaurants, shops etc. Any suggestions would be fantastic. We are not keen on cheaper hotels i.e. super 8 etc.

Las Vegas, Nevada
Destination Expert
for Anaheim, St. George
Level Contributor
28,213 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Where to stay in St George

While the downtown area is pretty small, its sort of spread out. Your not going to find a place to stay in close walking distance to shopping and restaurants, ect. But you can drive yourself all around the area pretty quickly within a short time.

Towne Place Suites, or Courtyard by Marriott .......are both nice Hotels and located kind of up above the downtown area a little so you can have nice views. But they are a short drive to restaurants the best of which are mostly concentrated on the S. River Road area and there is some shopping in that area as well.

The Inn at Entranda... is really the nicest place to stay Imo, but is located about a 15 min drive to downtown St George, so its kind of out of the way a little, but stunning views.

There is alot to do in St George and the area around it. Heres a list of top 10 things to do in the area.

http://www.utah.com/stgeorge/

However, if you are wanting to visit mostly Zion National Park, thats about a 45 min drive away ( Bryce Canyon is even farther) so its usually suggested to stay in Springdale Utah which is right close to the entrance to the Park, and has some nice Hotels with nice scenery.

The Painted Pony is a very nice restaurant I hear from others, although I have yet to eat there. Black Bear Diner has very good standard food well prepared and quite inexpensive. Kneaders Bakery and Cafe also offers some very good breakfasts, fresh sandwiches,and soups and also great deserts.

Edited: 24 May 2014, 19:57
Salt Lake City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Utah
Level Contributor
4,435 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Where to stay in St George

St. George isn't really a compact town. Very sprawled out without a high density or concentration of shops/restaurants etc, in any one particular area. The main drag would be off ST. George Boulevard.

Other than that, you may want to look into an all inclusive resort with a restaurant, bar, spa, pool, and stunning views. Check through some of the TA reviews and see if anything jumps out.

As mentioned, St. George is a good drive from Zion and Bryce. Not sure it is the best base camp if those were the areas you were planning to visit. You'll have long commutes.

Dublin
Level Contributor
490 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Where to stay in St George

Hello Molliescotland,

Did a similar trip a few years ago. Loved both L.V and St George. We used greyhound bus to go between the two locations and the return journey was some experience. Nightmare at the time but something we still talk about now.

Hotels / motels scattered all over St George. Two area seemed to have clusters. We stayed down on South Main Street and as mentioned above, St George Boulevard had lots of hotels. South Main street was a 15 min walk up a bit of a hill to the main area (st George boul) Lots of restaurants and some shops around both locations. St George has a small local bus service which ran around town and out to the shopping centres. If you have a problem walking then the Boulevard would be a better location. Found the people of St George very friendly and welcoming. Visited the Mormon sights and found them very interesting. Lots of Scottish names listed under the photos of members from the past.

Enjoy your trip.

Regards,

Supervanman

Scotland
Level Contributor
33 posts
137 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Where to stay in St George

Thank you so much for all the information, this will be a great help to us. I will have a look at the hotels you mentioned and also the list of things to do in St George, your help is much appreciated.

Scotland
Level Contributor
33 posts
137 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Where to stay in St George

Supervanman Thank you for the information, it was good to hear you enjoyed your trip, I will check out all the areas you mentioned and the local bus service, that would be good. Thanks again.

Las Vegas, Nevada
Destination Expert
for Anaheim, St. George
Level Contributor
28,213 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Where to stay in St George

Let us know if you have any more questions, and enjoy your trip there!

Scotland
Level Contributor
33 posts
137 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Where to stay in St George

Thank you I'm sure we will have a great time

Salt Lake City, Utah
Level Contributor
26 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Where to stay in St George

If you do choose to stay in St. George I recommend the Hilton Garden Inn. I stayed there this past may, while attending a training event. The hotel location is conveniently located off of Interstate 15. The hotel itself is very accessible for travelers with limited mobility. There is an outdoor swimming pool that is lovely year round.The on-site cafe serves Breakfast, Lunch and Dinner. There is at least one restaurant within walking distance and several others within a couple of miles. The rooms are well equipped with refrigerators, microwaves, coffee makers, hair dryers, free high speed wireless internet access and everything to make your stay more comfortable.

Dublin
Level Contributor
490 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Where to stay in St George

Hello Molliescotland.

Hope you had a great holiday. Let us know how you got on and what you made of Saint George. Las Vegas and Saint George, chalk and cheese.

Regards,

Supervanman

10. Re: Where to stay in St George

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 30 September 2015, 05:16