We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

St George to Springdale without a car ?

Sydney, New South...
Level Contributor
347 posts
58 reviews
Save Topic
St George to Springdale without a car ?

I apologise if this has been asked before , the only info I could find was years old so I was hoping things had changed.

We are planning on flying into Vegas in Oct then getting the shuttle bus to St. George so we can visit Zion. I understand from my research that it is better to stay in Springdale but since we won't have a car is there any buses that go from St.George to Springdale ? I really don't want to drive in the USA as I am terrified of being on the "wrong" side of the road!

Would we be better just doing a day tour from St George ? Are there any ?

Kipling. SK
Destination Expert
for Zion National Park
Level Contributor
6,278 posts
131 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: St George to Springdale without a car ?

I do not have any experience with any of the shuttle providers throughout this area, but I can pass on what I have seen from research.

From what I understand, there are two shuttle providers from St George to/from McCarran/LAS. These two are St George Express and St George Shuttle. Both of these shuttle providers seem to offer some type of transportation to/from Springdale/Zion.

Another company in the Zion area that seems to have expanded their services beyond basic trailhead shuttles is>> http://www.redrockshuttle.com/

I would suggest that tours are not the best way to see the parks, but would serve better for a quick overview of the larger grand circle area. If you want to visit Zion for a few days, best way to do this would be to book a few days in Springdale. The above red rock shuttle does list tours of some type on their webpage. You can also use www.utah.com for other ideas.

Encinitas...
Destination Expert
for Zion National Park, Joshua Tree National Park
Level Contributor
17,609 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: St George to Springdale without a car ?

If you want to see Zion, stay inside the park or in Springdale.

Zion Adventures also has shuttles from St George, if you decide to stay there.

http://www.zionadventures.com/zion-shuttles/

Once you get to Zion, there is an in-town shuttle and an in-park shuttle. Both are free.

Edited: 18 July 2014, 16:24
Las Vegas, Nevada
Destination Expert
for Anaheim, St. George
Level Contributor
28,193 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: St George to Springdale without a car ?

Getting to Springdale from St George is pretty much the same as it always was. There is no regular bus service, you have to go through one of the Tour companies such as the ones mentioned, and thats likely to be on the expensive side.

That being said, its a very easy drive from St George to Springdale with not usually alot of traffic. If you are planning on driving in any part of your trip, this is where it would be the easiest likely. So you may consider just renting a Car. Even the drive From Las Vegas is just one freeway, no exits ect to worry about except the one that takes you up to Zion, and nothing like the congestion you would have driving through all of Las Vegas which you wouldnt likely be doing. Getting out of Las Vegas is also pretty easy, since there is just one freeway going that direction.

Sydney, New South...
Level Contributor
347 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: St George to Springdale without a car ?

Thanks everyone for all your help.

Norwich, United...
Level Contributor
6,219 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: St George to Springdale without a car ?

If you can drive in Sydney then you can almost certainly drive in the USA. Almost everyone adjusts to sitting on the left and driving on the right very quickly with no problems. Of more concern is making sure you know the different driving rules that apply in the USA (turning right on red, etc), and coping with navigation and traffic in big cities. Renting a car in Las Vegas would certainly make things very easy compared to Los Angeles or San Francisco, but it would be even easier to rent from St George. To see where the car rental offices are in that town, you can do a search in Google Maps for:

car rental in st george ut

Here's a speeded up dashcam video of the drive from the I-15 exit to Zion:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6p310fbUCMs

I hope this encourages you to opt for a car, it will improve the quality of the trip enormously.

6. Re: St George to Springdale without a car ?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 July 2015, 06:16