We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

best route from st. george to phoenix

Shanghai, China
Level Contributor
55 posts
Save Topic
best route from st. george to phoenix

i will be driving back from st. george to phoenix airport for a redeye flight. according to google map, it's shorter and faster to go take I-15 to vegas and US93 + US60 to phoenix. total distance is 417 miles and estimated time 8hrs43min. however, if i take US89 to flagstaff and I-17 to phoenix, it's just about 435 miles and a little over 9 hours, not much farther or longer than travel through vegas.

can anyone help me decide which route i should take? a few factors to consider:

scenery along the road: i will be going visiting sedona and page on my way to st. george, so i will have seen I-17 and US89 already. however, if it's real pretty, i don't mind seeing it again, especially if there's nothing much on I-15 and US93. but since my flight is at midnight, much of my driving will be after dark.

side trip: i can do one or two quick stops along the way. but i do NOT plan to stop in vegas.

traffic: is the traffic around vegas gonna be bad? are the US93+US60 and US89 closed highway? are they 2 lane or 4 lane?

i would appreciate any sugguestion! thank you!

Springville,UT
Level Contributor
5 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: best route from st. george to phoenix

You probably have already gone on your trip to St. George. But just in case. I am very familiar with US89 Route and was going to suggest a few stops to make the trip more interesting. Stop in Cameron at the Trading Post for Navajo Tacos, visti the Waputki (wrong spelling?) Indian ruins outside of Flagstaff, as well as Sunset Crater. I love going through Flagstaff because I love the Mountains. You can also go through the Kaibab National Forest outside of St. George and that will bring you right onto Highway 89.

As you mentioned you would have already stopped at Lake Powell. But if not ,stop at the Dam visitor Center and take a quick tour. There is a couple of good restaurants in Page, Strombolli's makes wonderful pizza and calzones and Pepper's is a good little spot. It is located in the Courtyard Marriott hotel. On another trip budget some time to see the North Rim of the Grand Canyon, many people see the South, but the North Rim is really different. Good Luck!

I

2. Re: best route from st. george to phoenix

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 August 2009, 00:20
Get answers to your questions about St. George