We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Park city or snowbird- feb 2014

9 posts
Save Topic
Park city or snowbird- feb 2014

We are travelling over from sydney and not sure whether to ride park city or snowbird.? We are on boards, and would like advice on terrain.

I was in meribel in jan, enjoyed red and blue runs, but not the blacks, they were very steep and just mogels. Not enjoyable on a board.

We only want food and a beer after the mountain, so nightlife is not a concern.

We're just after the best riding, I like the idea if snowbird, but will the terrain be full of mogels and steep runs????

Any advice will be greatly appreciated....

Cheers!!!

Park City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Utah, Winter Sports
Level Contributor
18,646 posts
425 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Park city or snowbird- feb 2014

You can't go wrong with either. Park City will give you the choice of Park City Mountain Resort and Canyons. Between them, significantly more terrain than Snowbird. The Bird will give you an overall spectacular experience. I doubt you'll find what you experienced in Meribel, but there's definitely challenging terrain. Park City also has significantly greater infrastructure so while you may not like nightlife, you'll find over a hundred restaurants in PC and a smaller handful of choices at Snowbird. Snow should be comparable.

Have fun.

Salt Lake City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Utah
Level Contributor
4,535 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Park city or snowbird- feb 2014

Snowbird will be steeper overall and have less groomed runs, but not necessarily moguls. Snowbird peaks out at about 1,000 feet higher than PC and averages about 150 more inches of snow per year. When it snows and then has blue skies it is my favorite place to be. But because it has such good snow quality and is so close to Salt Lake, when it does snow, a lot of people will skip work to ride and so it will get tracked out faster. Unless of course they close Little Cottonwood Canyon for avalanche work and then you'll have the resort to yourself. Snowbird also has lots of wide open areas and cliff areas to challenge yourself more so than the PC resorts.

Park City has far more overall amenities, restaurants, bars, etc. It's not even comparable. They also have a lot of excellent terrain and really grooms their runs much better for the days it doesn't snow. Snow days at PC are great too. Can't go wrong on a powder day in Utah. Park City will have an infinitely much better terrain park, half pipe, diverse terrain overall and better manicured runs. It still has some steep, but not as much as Snowbird. You can also go to the Canyons in Park City.

The Canyons is the largest resort in Utah. Lots of terrain, aspen glades, pine forests, open bowls, manicured long runs, terrain park, and even a heated chair lift. To me, the snow quality here tends to get a little icier and there are more traverses from lift to lift, which isn't always fun on a snowboard. I just usually find an area I like and keep riding it until I'm bored or it gets tracked out. The Canyons is so large you can find good snow late in the afternoon on a powder day. All are fantastic places and mid February should have great snow anywhere.

The resorts are really so close together, you could hit them all if you had a car for a couple of days. Even if you didn't have a car there are ways to get from place to place, it just might be more expensive than your own vehicle.

3. Re: Park city or snowbird- feb 2014

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 05 February 2016, 01:16