We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bonneville - Speed Week

Mentor, Ohio
Level Contributor
8 posts
31 reviews
Save Topic
Bonneville - Speed Week

Anyone know anything fun to do in Wendover or somewhere close by for a break between watching the racing on the salt flats?

We have 3 kids: 11, 10, 10 and I think that they will need a break in the long day of racing.

Bonneville Salt Flats
Hot Springs & Geysers, Auto Race Tracks
Metaphor - Tree of Utah
Points of Interest & Landmarks
Knolls Recreation Area
Nature & Wildlife Areas
Salt Lake City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Utah
Level Contributor
15,891 posts
147 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Bonneville - Speed Week

Wendover will be the only place close. And I can't think of anything in Wendover for kids....

Just went to the city website, and you know you are in the desert and a small town when the big news is the planting of the new "city tree" a blue spruce. :-)

What they list for recreation: westwendovercity.org/visguide/visitingwestwe…

Encinitas...
Destination Expert
for Zion National Park, Joshua Tree National Park
Level Contributor
17,610 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Bonneville - Speed Week

Are you racing or spectating? I have wanted to see the Bonneville races for a long time.

I've been thru Wendover during my racing experiences,and activities for kids are very limited.

Park City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Utah, Winter Sports
Level Contributor
18,448 posts
421 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Bonneville - Speed Week

Other than riding around in the desert or a quick trip to the museum at the airport, there's not all that much to do within a couple hours. Make sure you have a pool at the hotel.

It's a beautiful place and we LOVE going out there. But it's really about the solitude - even during Speed Week.

Have fun.

Salt Lake City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Utah
Level Contributor
15,891 posts
147 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Bonneville - Speed Week

Tumbleweed....is there a museum at the airport? It looked like it was closed.

Rockolamamma,,,just a tidbit of history. The Wendover airport is where the Enola Gay plane practiced for its bombing raid over Hiroshima.

Park City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Utah, Winter Sports
Level Contributor
18,448 posts
421 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Bonneville - Speed Week

They do have a museum of sorts but I have found its operation to be spotty. We were there a few months ago and drove down to the airport and it looked like it was open, but I didn't stop in (we were driving to Mammoth and lost all our hydraulic fluid for power steering).

Back when I was flying little planes, I used to go out there a lot. It was pretty cool landing a 172 or Archer on the runways designed for the likes of the Enola Gay!

6. Re: Bonneville - Speed Week

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11 January 2010, 06:17
Get answers to your questions about Wendover
Recent Conversations
More Wendover Topics