We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Need locals to help on a CT/VT trip - FAST!

Oshkosh, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
172 posts
107 reviews
Save Topic
Need locals to help on a CT/VT trip - FAST!

Looking for somewhere in VT to spend one night in later October before a day trip to CT along the ocean.

Please advise as to a pretty city that has good pubs, local shopping/art, and maybe a scenic drive bridges? Probably too late for foliage....)

Advice on restaurants and bars appreciated as well - both pros and cons.

Restaurants can include cute lunch stops, as well as good dinner places.

If you were spending one night in VT, heading to CT the next day.....where would you stay? Also, I am hearing that CT has a "bring your own wine" law to restauants (with a corking fee, of course). Is this the case in VT as well?

Baltimore, Maryland
Destination Expert
for North Conway
Level Contributor
12,146 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Need locals to help on a CT/VT trip - FAST!

Stowe and Manchester are two places with an abundance of restaurants, lodging choices, shopping, great scenic drive opportunities and vibrant art scene.

Corinth, Vermont
Level Contributor
63 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Need locals to help on a CT/VT trip - FAST!

Hi,

What makes this a little difficult is not knowing where you will be coming from. But even not knowing that I think I'd suggest Woodstock. It is near to I-91 that will zip you straight south to Connecticut and also has all the other things you mentioned: restaurants, shops, bridges, scenery.

The foliage will be somewhat past peak in that part of Vermont by the end of October, but depending on where you are coming from, and seeing that you will be traveling south through Mass. into Conn., you will still see plenty of good color.

Do a quick TA search for "Woodstock" and you'll get lots of specific posts on this.

Southern VT
Destination Expert
for Vermont
Level Contributor
1,224 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Need locals to help on a CT/VT trip - FAST!

dianeg: I am starting to wonder if you have not seen all the answers that have been posted here in relation to your previous questions. Please let us know what else we can tell you aside from what has already been recommended to you.

Ormond Beach...
Destination Expert
for Vermont, Ormond Beach
Level Contributor
8,486 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Need locals to help on a CT/VT trip - FAST!

Restaurants that sell wine will generally allow you to bring something special (sometimes not), with a cork fee. Some places that don't sell alcohol allow brown bagging - and the places I've been don't charge a fee. (Of course, you might have to bring your own glasses to some places.)

Chester, Vermont
Destination Expert
for Chester, Ludlow, Vermont
Level Contributor
1,041 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Need locals to help on a CT/VT trip - FAST!

My understanding is that if a restaurant has a licence to sell alcohol that under VT legislation you are not permitted to BYOB to consume in the restaurant - the state wants its tax and I believe that liability insurance would be breeched and therefore invalidated. I know that licenced Inns do not allow alcohol bought outside to be consumed in public areas.

6. Re: Need locals to help on a CT/VT trip - FAST!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 07 April 2010, 05:18