We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Winter Sking at Snow Dance Resort

Altoona, AL
Level Contributor
1 post
7 reviews
Save Topic
Winter Sking at Snow Dance Resort

My wife, son (age 17) and I have traded our timeshare for some winter sking. We will be there from 19 - 26 Dec. Would like to know how good the sking will be and a good place for Christmas Eve and Day Dinner.

Burlington, Vermont
Level Contributor
985 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Winter Sking at Snow Dance Resort

I am making some assumptions. As this is in the Brownsville forum, I am guessing you are talking about Mt. Ascutney Ski area. I don't know of any Snow Dance "Ski" Resort in Vermont. "Resort" I guess refers to condos/ or lodging of some sort.

If this is case, to answer your question, the skiing should be decent, but not guaranteed. Cold weather is of course requisite. If there is not a lot of natural snow I don't know the snow making capacity at Mt. A. There are 3 larger ski areas within an hour of Brownsville, that should have the best possible conditions if they are lacking elsewhere. Killington and Pico Peak are an hour away and Okemo is 45 minutes from Brownsville. These places are capable of lots of snow making if needed.

Burlington, Vermont
Level Contributor
985 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Winter Sking at Snow Dance Resort

As for nice restaurants. 18 minutes from Brownsville is the Juniper Hill Inn in Windsor, 25 miniutes is the Inn at Weathersfield in Perkinsville and 30 minutes away is Simon Pearce in Quechee. I have only been to Simon Pearce, but others in this forum speak well of the other two as well.

I don't know if these restaurants are open on Xmas eve and day. One should check and if they are open, I would think advanced reservations would be necessary.

Baltimore, Maryland
Destination Expert
for North Conway
Level Contributor
12,203 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Winter Sking at Snow Dance Resort

Although I have not skiied there, after taking a look at the trail map and mountain, Ascutney looks like a nice place to ski. It's not a larger mountain like Killington, nor is it just a beginner hill.

My experience is skiing Stratton over a dozen Christmas weeks. Stratton is SW of Ascutney and about 50 miles away. We had some incredible weeks where we weren't sure if we could get there due to the snow (not often) to years where we never saw a flake until we actually got to the mountain. Even so, with good snow making there was always plenty of skiing with more runs opening as week went on. I am going to guess that Ascutney is pretty similar in this respect. You dont' say your ski level but unless you usually heliski, you should be just fine.

Burlington, Vermont
Level Contributor
985 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Winter Sking at Snow Dance Resort

2 other ideas for meals. The Seedhouse Cafe in Reading (15 minutes) and Castle Hill in Cavendish (25 minutes and would be en route to Okemo). Again, check to see when they are open.

5. Re: Winter Sking at Snow Dance Resort

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 May 2010, 06:22
Get answers to your questions about Brownsville