We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Any last minute tips?

Which Burlington hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Grand Blanc
Level Contributor
71 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Any last minute tips?

Leaving Wednesday from Michigan to Burlington with a stop at Niagra Falls and Copperstown NY. Staying at the Doubletree, arriving Friday June 22 and departing on Thursday June 28th. Planning on attending the Chew Chew Fstical on Saturday. Is this an all-day thing? How much time should we devote to this activity? For Sunday until Thursday, I will be on my own from about 9:00AM until 3:00PM daily, so still trtying to put together some daytime activities for myself if anyone has any ideas. My wife will be with me in the evenings. We are planning on taking in a Lake Monster ball game as they play a farm team of the Detroit TIgers, my home team, while we are there. Also planning on trying an Ethan Allen cruise and dinner. Other then that still pretty open on plans. One question about hotels...when I go to Vegas (2-3 times a year) the majority of the time I am successful in getting an upgraded room by slipping the counter person a $20. Is this universal or a Vegas thing? I thought about trying to upgrade from our standard room at the Doubletree to a suite by using this. Assuming of course they have rooms available. Any thoughts. No big deal if it doesn't work, it is fun to try however. I have gotten a little intrigued about "Champ: the lake monster...any good touristy things related to that in the Burlington area? Any other last minute suggestions for an enjoyable Burlington visit? Thanks in advance.

Burlington, Vermont
Level Contributor
2,832 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Any last minute tips?

Chew Chew Festival is 11AM to 11PM on Friday and Saturday, 11 to 6 on Sunday. It's not my cup of tea, but I understand why others like it...plus it is in a great location down by the waterfront.

As for tipping the front desk person, it'll probably be some 22 year old college kid unaccustomed to that sort of thing here, since there aren't that many suites...but it might be worth a try. The only problem is limited suites inventory, and the fact that hotels in this area are pretty solidly booked in the summer. Good luck trying!

If you have good weather, the cruise should be fun.

The Shelburne Museum should be high on your list, it's a great indoor AND outdoor museum just south of Burlington, you'll need at least an entire day.

You might check to see if the Sugarbush Express tourist train from Burlington to Middlebury is operating this summer, I can't seem to find links to it, so it might be kaput....but if it is, a long lunch in Middlebury and a little shopping could be fun. The terminal in Burlington is just below your hotel....assuming the train is in operation this summer...

southeastern, pa
Level Contributor
232 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Any last minute tips?

If you have a car - day trips to either Lake Placid/Whiteface Mtn (via ferry) or Stowe/Mt Mansfield (Smugglers Notch) for you flatlanders. Easy drives up. Nice views.

BTW, StevieD - did you ever appear in a movie with Alan Alda?

Ghost of Betsy Wedding ?? not one of his better efforts.

Burlington, Vermont
Level Contributor
498 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Any last minute tips?

Chew Chew won't take you all day. I'd say 2 to 4 hours. It's up to you how long you spend eating, or watching/listening to the music acts.

Rent a bicycle and ride the Bike path to the Colchester Causeway

Bretton Woods, New...
Level Contributor
127 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Any last minute tips?

If you have access to a car, you have to go to the Ben and Jerry's factory, if nothing else than to say you have been there. I am an avid biker, so the bike paths are my big draw. Walking along Church Street is always fun, Montreal is only @ 2 hours away, so that may be a fun thing to do, too. Weather will really make a difference in what you do.

5. Re: Any last minute tips?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 03 September 2009, 16:18