We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where to stay in Windsor?

Which Burlington hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
New York City, New...
Level Contributor
31 posts
13 reviews
Save Topic
Where to stay in Windsor?

I am planning on going to the Harpoon Festival on Oct 6 and wanted to know the best places to stay in the Windsor area (looking for some romantic b&b type places)? Also, what other activities and or must see places are in that area?

Burlington, Vermont
Level Contributor
2,832 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Where to stay in Windsor?

Honestly, Windsor is not exactly a Vermont highlight.

It's the site of the (now-closed) notorious state prison dating back to President Thomas Jefferson's administration, and it is a gritty, down-on-its-luck mill town.

I'm sure local residents will find a few good things to say about it, but as a lifelong Vermonter, I have to be honest: you couldn't pay me to spend 10 minutes there.

Sorry if that seems harsh or upsets the local chamber of commerce, but sometimes you have to call a spade a spade. Maybe there's a decent b&b, but my guess is you'll have to travel to Norwich/Hanover, or the Killington area, or maybe Brattleboro/Bellows Falls to find someplace nice.

In fact, now that you mention it, try this place in Bellows Falls (15 miles south), a gorgeous old Victorian mansion b&b:

www.readmoreinn.com

Bellows Falls is also a rather gritty town, but this b&b is spectacular.

Chester, Vermont
Destination Expert
for Chester, Ludlow, Vermont
Level Contributor
1,021 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Where to stay in Windsor?

sign of the times I'm horrorfied :-)

Windsor county and has some of the most wonderful B&B's in VT (including the tripadvisor number one rated inn for Vermont)

Try any of these for romance and you won't be dissapointed

The Inn at Weathersfield in Perkinsville

The Chester house Inn in Chester

The Inn Victoria in Chester

The Governers Inn in Ludlow

All have great locations wonderful rooms most with fireplace/jacuzzi etc.. Do book soon though as October 6th is Columbus weekend and many are already fully booked

Woodstock, Vermont
Destination Expert
for Woodstock
Level Contributor
1,646 posts
283 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Where to stay in Windsor?

Hi Golinda68...

If you are wiling to make a short drive then Woodstock should be considered. The village had a number of guests staying recently from the Harpoon barbecue day and they liked the fact that they could walk to various restaurants, tour historic houses, visit galleries and also take a trip the next day to the LongTrail brewery (they do seem to LOVE their beer!).

Check out the village web site at www.woodstockvt.com for more information on lodging options from value to indulgent. The village also boasts two of the top 6 Trip Advisor rated B & B establishments in all of Vermont.

Burlington, Vermont
Level Contributor
2,832 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Where to stay in Windsor?

Innvic, I understand your concerns, but Windsor (the town) is everything I've described. It is not Vermont at its loveliest.

I agree that Windsor County has some lovely b&b's and some lovely towns, but not a single one you name is in Windsor (the town)

Do we really want Golinda68 to come to Windsor (the town) expecting idyllic Vermont without giving her a "heads up"? I say a dose of honesty can help her from drawing the wrong conclusion about the entire state.

Chester, Vermont
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
1,021 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Where to stay in Windsor?

sign of the times - I do agree with your concern to a certain extent. But Golinda68 had asked for the "windsor area" Whilst I conceed Windsor town is not "quintissential vermont" I didn't want anyone to get the impression that the whole county/area was unpleasant. Personally I think many of the small villages and towns in this area are amongst the prettiest and most charming in all vermont.......and virtually unspoilt by tourism (yet!)

I will stress again though anyone looking to come weekend 5/6/7 October must BOOK NOW if they can still find availability.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
31 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Where to stay in Windsor?

Thank you all for your suggestions and concerns. Im sorry to have caused a ruckus! :) Im sure all the towns are lovely and will jump on booking something asap.

Chester, Vermont
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
1,021 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Where to stay in Windsor?

Don't worry Golinda68 No ruckus ...just lively debate :-)

boston
4 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Where to stay in Windsor?

I'm also hoping to go to the Harpoon event, are there any hotels/motels in the area? I'd rather not do a b&B... thanks in advance=)

Chester, Vermont
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
1,021 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Where to stay in Windsor?

If you do not have accommodation booked for this weekend then I'm afraid your left with very little choice (if any) There may be something up at White River Junction which is probably the nearest place with hotels as opposed to B&B's I'd start looking ASAP!

10. Re: Where to stay in Windsor?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 08 September 2009, 14:16
Get answers to your questions about Burlington
Recent Conversations