We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Fall Foliage - Backup Plan

Level Contributor
41 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Fall Foliage - Backup Plan

It looks like when we arrive VT on Oct 6, it is likely that we only get moderate fall color due to the unseasonal warm weather.

From VT Foliage website, fall color in VT starts from the Northeast Kingdom. I am grateful if any one can provide any info for the routes that I am more likely to see a canopy of fall foliage. This is my first fall foliage trip and it has always been my wish to be able to see a canopy of fall foliage, not just a few trees changing color.

Your reply is greatly appreciated.

Burlington, Vermont
Level Contributor
2,832 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Fall Foliage - Backup Plan

A lot can (and likely will) happen in two weeks.

I would guess that most of Vermont will be at peak or near peak at that time. Vermont is a small state, so driving from one end of the state and back can be done in one day. My recommendation for a "back up plan" is to review the foliage website route recommendations in general, and a day or two before your journey east, make decisions on what looks most promising. It's far too early to make those specific decisions now.

Chester, Vermont
Destination Expert
for Chester, Ludlow, Vermont
Level Contributor
1,046 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Fall Foliage - Backup Plan

Although it has been unseasonable warm these past few days we had a few cold snaps early in september and at one point it looked likely that the fall was going to be EARLY. The shorter days also contribute to the onset and even the temperature can't change that - and the fact that all these cloudless blue skies do mean that temperature drops at night to around seasonal normals should mean that Columbus weekend should be a good one. Most innkeepers are savvy to the local peak spots and will have driving routes planned to the north to higher elevation if its a late fall or south to a lower elevation if its just past peak. I honestly believe you will find your canopy of color!

Follow progress on www.foliagenetwork.com

they have agreat feature that you can compare with previous years this confirma the previous post that things can change a lot in just a few days round here!

Toronto Canada
Level Contributor
52 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Fall Foliage - Backup Plan

You won't be disappointed! If it seems early in Vermont central - head for the mountains which should have far more advanced color.

We usually go to Lake Placid (Adirondack Mountains) that weekend, and there is always lots of color. Remember, fall foliage comes in stages, ALL of them beautiful. The earliest color is the bright red of the maple trees and sumac bushes and later the spectacular red and gold of the sugar maples. Then the birches and oaks follow(yellow). What everyone wants is to be there when these overlap, but nobody can predict that! And quite often, it doesn't happen.

What I enjoy the most are the country roads along mountain rivers and streams combined with the fall foliage.

This year we are going from Lake Placid to Burlington Vermont, down rte 100 to Woodstock vermont and back to Lake Placid in a big circle. I expect alot of color on this route. Take a look at the Bennington post about rtes for help. I'm getting great suggestions there from locals.

4. Re: Fall Foliage - Backup Plan

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10 September 2009, 11:21