We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Help with accommodations

Which Burlington hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
NC
Level Contributor
33 posts
Save Topic
Help with accommodations

I posted a couple of weeks ago about our trip to Burlington and appreciate the responses. My husband, son and myself are flying into Burlington for a short stay. We will be traveling southwest of Burlington (I think about an hour) to look at some farm equipment. We arrive late in the evening, and leave early a few mornings later. Our problem is that we thought we would stay in Burlington the first night but I cannot find anything affordable. Most places do not have anything available. The Holiday Inn has a room for 349.95....Way out of our price range. Does anyone have a suggestion? Secondly, our son is 13 and we will have part of the day on Friday, and all day on Saturday to enjoy. Any suggestions on what to do. He is not into hiking, and shopping is definitely not his thing. Thanks in advance to the help!!!

Amy

Vermont
Destination Expert
for Vermont
Level Contributor
2,160 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Help with accommodations

When are you coming? That price seems really high for the HolidayInn. Is it during foliage season? Could be UVM parents weekend.

What town are you looking at the equipment in? SW of Burlington will put you in New York State.

Your son will probably enjoy Echo on the Burlington waterfront. Do you like to bike ride? You can rent bikes and bike on the Burlington bike path.

Burlington, Vermont
Level Contributor
985 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Help with accommodations

Agree, price is crazy high. What dates are you coming?

For your son, the Shelburne Museum is not a typical museum-look into it. It has 37 buildings, includes a lighthouse, a covered bridge, a round barn, a Park Avenue New York City apartment, A decoy collection, Horse carriages, Tiffany glass exhibit, etc. Something to interest almost everyone.

NC
Level Contributor
33 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Help with accommodations

Thanks for your replies. We will be traveling next weekend. We were finally able to find a place for Thursday night, but are still up in the air for the other two nights. I think we are going to be going close to Rutland to see the equipment. I had thought about driving to Niagra Falls, Friday afternoon, but that looks to be too far. Can anyone tell me about the Alpine Slide? Thanks for your replies.

Vermont
Destination Expert
for Vermont
Level Contributor
2,160 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Help with accommodations

Niagara Falls is WAY too far.

Pico (near Rutland) has an alpine slide.

What about Middlebury for the other 2 nites? There is a Courtyard Marriott there. Lake Dunmore is nearby for swimming. Check out Middlebury College. Go see the Morgan Horse Farm. Take the ferry to Fort Ticonderoga.

Burlington, Vermont
Level Contributor
985 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Help with accommodations

Are colleges starting up? This could cause an accommodation problem. Try Williston to the east of Burlington.

Ormond Beach...
Destination Expert
for Vermont
Level Contributor
7,760 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Help with accommodations

Try the Anchorage Motor Inn in South Burlington. There are many cheaper places in S. Burlington, as well as a Motel 6 in Colchester (all within 5-7 miles of downtown.) There are plenty of other places too if you're getting ridiculous quotes like $300+/room.

There's an Alpine Slide in Stowe, which is about 1 hour's drive. Rutland is a good 90 minutes.

Niagara Falls is an 8 hour drive each way.

The Echo center may be too young for your son. Rent some bikes or roler blades at the Skirack in Burlington and do the bike path north along the lake. Or drive to Stowe to do the alpine slide and then climb around the rocks at the top of smuggler's notch.. or drive up the Mt Mansfield toll road and scramble around the trails up there with superb views. There's also a great bike path in Stowe.

7. Re: Help with accommodations

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 February 2010, 07:30
Get answers to your questions about Burlington
Recent Conversations